Transfer switch questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to install a manual transfer switch to my main panel. The panel is a 200A exterior recessed combo service panelboard.

The only way to get wire between the service entrance and the transfer switch is to open the wall below the panel and install a screw cover can as a raceway and from there gutter over to the transfer switch.

There will not be any splices in the can so I am assuming there are not any issues with closing up the wall. I would like to avoid installing an access panel if possible.

Also, any issues with installing insulated splices at the service entrance? I could run new wires from the transfer switch to the panelboard if necessary but they are very difficult to get to and I would like to avoid this if possible.

Thanks.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Sounds like your better suited to just use an interlock kit designed for your service/disco combo?

Sounds like your better suited to just use an interlock kit designed for your service/disco combo?
I looked into that but I was unable to find a listed interlock kit for my panel (Siemens MC1224MC1200S). If someone knows of a listed device that will work with my panel, please share. I attached a cut sheet on a Siemens device that specifically says it will not work with my panel. Although my panel is really packed I could probably move things around to get another breaker in for the generator feed but I would still be faced with getting into the recessed panel although it would be easier than running the 200A feeders to a transfer switch....

Attachments

• FAC-MUR100SUL-Instructions.pdf
    739 KB · Views: 10

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
That number seems to be a meter/main combo? If so, then your actual panel is MLO? If so, you should be able to buy a Main breaker loadcenter of the same size, and just change the guts and cover out. Usually the cans for MLO and Main breaker are the same.

That number seems to be a meter/main combo? If so, then your actual panel is MLO? If so, you should be able to buy a Main breaker loadcenter of the same size, and just change the guts and cover out. Usually the cans for MLO and Main breaker are the same.
Correct, it is MLO. Looking at is again, the panel is totally packed (see attached) and there is not room to add a breaker for the generator feeder so it looks like the Transfer switch is the practical solution.

Attachments

• IMG_0111.jpg
    IMG_0111.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 19

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Correct, it is MLO. Looking at is again, the panel is totally packed (see attached) and there is not room to add a breaker for the generator feeder so it looks like the Transfer switch is the practical solution.
Yeah, your kinda screwed with that type of panel, I thought you might have an inside panel that was MLO that an interlock could be added if it was changed to MB.

Now that I have determined a transfer switch is the way to go I am planning out how to do the wiring. It is my understanding that the service conductors and service equipment conductors have to be run in separate raceways. Basically I am planning on running wires between the meter to the transfer switch and back over to the meter enclosure feeding the service panel in separate raceways. Any issues with this approach?

Status
Not open for further replies.