Transfer switch requirement Help??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike01

I recall seeing somewhere (but cannot currently find the code section) where a generator enclosure with a integral panel board had to be fed from a dedicated transfer switch, but cannot find the requirement, anyone???

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I don't understand the situation. You have a generator, in an enclosure, and it feeds a panel, also in the same enclosure. How does a transfer switch come into play? Is there something within the enclosure that is being fed from a source other than the generator?

Mike01

Generator Assessories

Generator Assessories

The generator enclosure (walk-in) has a small panelbaord (60A) that server lights, battery charger, heaters, louvers, dampers, etc. I recall (I thought) reading in the code that this panelboard that serves generator accessories is required to be on its own dedicated transfer switch.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
You need to have separate transfer switches for emergency loads, for legally required standby loads, and for optional standby loads. If you are going to supply the generator's accessory panel from the generator, then decide which of those three categories best describes the accessories, and put it on that transfer switch. There is no rule that says it has to have a transfer switch that is separate from the other three.

Status
Not open for further replies.