transfer switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
a 200 amp 120/240v 1PH. manual transfer switch(S E rated No Over Current Protection) is located on the exterior of a dwelling and the 200 a service entrance panel W/200a main cb is located immediatley inside in back of the transfer switch. Is this arrangement code compliant?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
a 200 amp 120/240v 1PH. manual transfer switch(S E rated No Over Current Protection) is located on the exterior of a dwelling and the 200 a service entrance panel W/200a main cb is located immediatley inside in back of the transfer switch. Is this arrangement code compliant?

Not unless there is overcurrent and short circuit protection in front of the MTS. 230.91

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You'd think that, if a service cable can enter the house and then land in a main OCP, the service cable could enter and exit a service-rated T/S and then do the same thing.

But, as QC pointed out, 230.91 seems to differ. Can the T/S be moved inside, back-to-back with the meter, and the panel mounted "immediately adjacent thereto"?

Remember, the service-rated T/S is now the main disconnect, including GEC and bonding, and the M/B panel is a sub-panel, with separated neutrals and EGC's.

iwire

Staff member
Not unless there is overcurrent and short circuit protection in front of the MTS. 230.91

That section does not specify which side of the disconnecting means will have over current protection. All that is requires is that the over current device be part of or immediately adjacent to the disconnecting means.

That being the case the question is this.

Is back to back with a wall in between still 'immediately adjacent to'?

Think about a typical fused disconnect, the over current protection is on the load side of the switch.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
. . . the question is this.

Agreed, and it never hurts to ask the EI if back-to-back is adequate . . . especially if it's already been installed that way. :cool:

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
That section does not specify which side of the disconnecting means will have over current protection. All that is requires is that the over current device be part of or immediately adjacent to the disconnecting means.

That being the case the question is this.

Think about a typical fused disconnect, the over current protection is on the load side of the switch.

S: (adj) adjacent, next, side by side (nearest in space or position; immediately adjoining without intervening space) "had adjacent rooms"; "in the next room"; "the person sitting next to me"; "our rooms were side by side"

It says what it says.
I will never argue code with you Iwire. It's like going to a gunfight with a knife. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.