Transformer configurations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am an apprentice Electrician and I am trying to learn more about transformer configurations? I believe a 208Y/120 WYE System has line to neutral at 120v and phase to phase at 208v is this correct? Can you explain to me other Transformer configurations? I will really appreciate the Input.

dereckbc

Staff member
Re: Transformer configurations

Originally posted by hde_electric:
I believe a 208Y/120 WYE System has line to neutral at 120v and phase to phase at 208v is this correct?
Yes. Transformers come in all kinds of configurations. One of the most used are 480 delta input/208Y 120 output. The combinations are limitless and depends on the application. One I use a lot for isolation is 208 delta input/208Y 120 output. If you are really interested go to one of the manufacures websites and browse around.

[ September 12, 2003, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: dereckbc ]

bennie

Esteemed Member

Study all the configurations of the wye or star configuration before taking on other configurations.(literary masterpiece :p )

Going from one to the other will cause mental overload.

Also, start with single phase transformer theory.

Check Mike Holt for publications.

Good luck; Bennie

brian john

HDE:
If your truly interested now is the time to start a library. BUY books then you will always have the data at hand. Additionally there is tons of data available on line.

PS: While you may be a nice guy, hold the hard line on loaning books. Speaking from the voice of experience on loaning and losing. It has been my experience that you never loan books. Basically when they touch someone’s else’s hands they become his/her property.

scott thompson

hde_electric;

Check out some of the Schematics I have posted at ECN's Technical Reference Section.
(click on the underlined "blue" text in the sentences below)

Various Schematics for1? Setups-part1.

Additional Schematics for 1? Setups-part2,

For Polyphase Systems:

Delta Setups

Wye Setups

6? and 9? Setups

And, for an old antique type System, 2? Setups

Check out the entire list of items for additional Schematics + data at the Menu For Technical Reference Section.
From this Menu, you can find the above linked items, along with many others - including Buck/Boost Setups, Polarity Testing Techniques, Circuit Calcs, Circuitry for Motors and Controls, Inverters, basic Switch Loops, and even some Audio System Loud Speaker Crossover Networks.

Have fun!

Scott35

charlie

WOW! I'm impressed. Scott even has a Scott connected transformer configuration. Good looking stuff and a great learning tool. :D

bennie

Esteemed Member

Scott: Good to hear from you again. I didn't return your last email, due to illness.

You mean you're not running for Governor?

scott thompson

Charlie;

Thanks for the kind words! :D Glad you looked over the drawings!

Bennie;

You mean you're not running for Governor?
Oh man, that whole Recall situation has made this State a Laughing Stock! The Circus going on is an equal embarassment!

Scott35

Status
Not open for further replies.