Transformer GEC at Marina

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowerdT

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I’m designing to install new 100kva 480V-120/208V transformer and distribution panel and it will be installed on the concrete deck. I was thinking to have ground rod but I found out that I cannot creat ground from concrete pad. What is practical way to provide ground in this situation?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I’m designing to install new 100kva 480V-120/208V transformer and distribution panel and it will be installed on the concrete deck. I was thinking to have ground rod but I found out that I cannot creat ground from concrete pad. What is practical way to provide ground in this situation?
Is there no earth under the concrete deck? Normally you could drill a hole through the pad and pound a 10 foot long rod into the earth through the hole. Incidentally, you will probably need two rods, 6 feet apart.

Otherwise you will have to run a wire to wherever you can find dirt to pound the rods.

PowerdT

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Is there no earth under the concrete deck? Normally you could drill a hole through the pad and pound a 10 foot long rod into the earth through the hole. Incidentally, you will probably need two rods, 6 feet apart.

Otherwise you will have to run a wire to wherever you can find dirt to pound the rods.
the marina is human made concrete deck, no concrete gravel there

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
The GEC can be ran back to the grounding electrode(s) at the shoreline, unless this concrete slab is an island.

Status
Not open for further replies.