Transformer Neutral Question

Agorsk

New User
Occupation
Engineer

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
There is no secondary neutral. But you probably mean 'grounded conductor', in other words the circuit conductor which is bonded to ground at the source.

It appears that either X1 or X2 may serve your grounded conductor, with the other terminal serving your 'hot'.

The description of this transformer raises red flags for me.

They say that it is a 'Three phase to single phase' transformer. It isn't. It is a single phase transformer. The 208V primary voltage it is designed for commonly comes from a three phase system, but the transformer only uses a single phase connection.

The description also says something about taking "two 104 V legs, L+L+N" which never occurs in common power systems, and in particular wouldn't occur if you had a 208V three phase supply.

The transformer diagram show multiple 'H' taps, but nothing in the description says anything about them. Presumably they are there to allow you to adjust for slightly off supply voltages, but not having specs makes them a bit useless.

So someone at Larson doesn't understand their own transformers, but is allowed to write about them. Because of this I don't trust the documentation completely. In particular there might be some undocumented 'grounding strap' that forces either X1 or X2 to be your grounded conductor.

-Jon

Shaneyj

Occupation
Project Engineer

Does your 230V L-N equipment require a 60Hz supply?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk