Transformer on a Panel breaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerplay

In an shed providing underground power a distance away to a home, it was decided to transform to a higher voltage at the road, then back to 120/240 for the home. At the road are there issues (cost/code) with feeding an 120/240 to 480volt transformer from an 120/240 panel so that lights and receptacle may be provided at the driveway entrance? I believe the Panel desired is an Siemens. Thanks again fir your input!

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
In an shed providing underground power a distance away to a home, it was decided to transform to a higher voltage at the road, then back to 120/240 for the home. At the road are there issues (cost/code) with feeding an 120/240 to 480volt transformer from an 120/240 panel so that lights and receptacle may be provided at the driveway entrance? I believe the Panel desired is an Siemens. Thanks again fir your input!
So what is the question? With proper thought, application of code and basic design this is all easily done. Yes this will get expensive when you consider all the requirements of proper grounding and bonding of a separately derived system and all of the OCPD, etc. Cost may be an issue, but one would have to wonder why cost is a primary issue for an application like this. After all, if you have a house that far away to require this and still need power for lighting, gates, etc. back at the street where the service is you just deal with it.
And what does Siemens have to do with the issue? This has nothing to do with a manufacturer. Proper design is just that and any brand will do.
There has to be more to this story.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Likewise, I don't see the question. If the decision has been made to follow the transformer route you will need OCP for the transformer primary. Normally additional breakers could be provided in the panel providing that OCP for other equipment at the shed.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

I am not sure there is a question to be found in this post.

There are always costs and issues to be dealt with no matter what solution is decided upon.

I am not completely sure what you are trying to describe but it seems like you have a shed where your service gear is located. A transformer there feeds the house. You want to add another transformer to feed the driveway entrance.

If this is what you want to do, I do not think you need another transformer just to feed the driveway. I think you can just tap off the existing transformer. I do not even think it needs OCPD at the tap point since it is an outside feeder. Or is it a branch circuit? can outside BC be tapped at unlimited length?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.