Transformer question

Status
Not open for further replies.

myhvacguy

Occupation
HVAC Service Tech
I was trying to install a ring door bell today and think I fried the unit. I installed a 120v to 16v transformer as instructed but the front bell started smoking. When I put my meter on the transformer line side, I showed 122V. On the load side it was 21.8V. Did I get a bad transformer? This seems way to high for a supposedly 16V transformer. Any ideas are appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

kwired

Electron manager
Actually if it is rated 115 volts (which it very well may be) if you applied 122 to it the secondary would be about 122 volts.

But my guess is you either had stuck pushbutton, shorted pushbutton leads or other misconnection that put constant volts to the chime. They are not rated for having power applied continuously and it doesn't take too long to overheat them if you do have that happen.

kwired

Electron manager
If there is no doorbell/chime in series with the Ring (meaning you're doing what you did), you're supposed to wire a resistor in series with the 16v supply. They're less than vigilant about mentioning this. Hope you don't have to eat it yourself.

Read:
https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/a...-Transformer-Without-a-Pre-existing-Doorbell-

Buy:
https://shop.ring.com/products/wire...VgZ6fCh1p_wjxEAQYASABEgIZuvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
I now realize he has something other than a simple magnetic actuated chime, which my first reply was based on.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
But my guess is you either had stuck pushbutton, shorted pushbutton leads or other misconnection that put constant volts to the chime. They are not rated for having power applied continuously and it doesn't take too long to overheat them if you do have that happen.
They are when replacing an existing doorbell button, which the OP did not have, because the chime is in series with the power.

He provided a transformer because there was no existing doorbell.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Did I get a bad transformer? This seems way to high for a supposedly 16V transformer. Any ideas are appreciated.

Many small transformers have extremely poor voltage regulation at very light loading (i.e. no load). This was not much of a problem for the traditional electro-magnetic style door bells, but it is for electronic loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.