Transformer Secondary OCPD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am installing a 45 kva xfmr 240 volt primary delta to 120/208 wye secondary. Primary breaker is 125 amp. Is it necessary to have secondary protection per tap rules or can I install 150 amp secondary breaker at panel located 100 ft away. Feeders run thru inside of building

david

Re: Transformer Secondary OCPD

I do not consider the secondary conductors of a transformer ?Taps? but 240.21(c) deals with the secondary of a transformer. Indoor secondary conductors 100ft would need over load protection.

I understand it needs overcurrent protection but I dont have enough space in electric rm to fit disconnect at transformer

charlie

David, where you are protecting the transformer with the appropriate overcurrent protection, you are not protecting the secondary conductors. The exception to this statement is shown in 240.4(F), all others are transformer tap conductors and are covered in 240.21(C). :D

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Forgive a naive question, but where did you get the 3-phase 240 volt primary source? I?ve not run across such an animal. I infer it must exist, for you cannot get a single phase 120/208 from a single phase primary. :confused:

goodcode

Hey guys, that utility guy Charlie has hit the nail on the head.
In most cases the NEC considers transformer secondary conductors to be "tap conductors." The exceptions are listed in 240.21.
Way to go "Utility Guy."

ryan_618

Originally posted by goodcode:
Hey guys, that utility guy Charlie has hit the nail on the head.
In most cases the NEC considers transformer secondary conductors to be "tap conductors." The exceptions are listed in 240.21.
Way to go "Utility Guy."
LOL It might help that Charlie is on the code making panel responsible for article 240! :D

goodcode

Well now, that explains his prowess with what can be a complicated topic.
Thanks Ryan!

charlie

WOW! It would have been nice to have gotten us all together in SLC. Ryan is an inspector in SLC and Goodcode is a good friend of mine. Ryan, I assure you that you would like him if you ever met him. Maybe, one of these days, Goodcode will reveal his identity. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.