Transformer secondary raceway and conductors

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Secondary conductors routed in 1.5”LFMC (sealtight) and terminate into the disconnect through concentric knock outs that go up 2”. So there is still one left.

At a minimum the line side from transformer to disconnect needs a bonding bushing/jumper on at least one side correct.

The voltage is 240/120 delta high leg. The reason you only see two conductors is because it is feeding a single phase panel board. Yes I know what a waste but 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• IMG_2808.jpeg
    IMG_2808.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
With LFMCs limited capacity as a grounding means it could not be used as the SSBJ so I see no reason for a bond bushing
Yes I pulled the correct size ssbj in the LFMC but you are saying you see no reason to have a bond bushing even though it terminates into a concentric knock out? I guess only if it was over 250volts to ground and enclosure not rated for grounding over that?

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
With LFMCs limited capacity as a grounding means it could not be used as the SSBJ so I see no reason for a bond bushing
I see what you’re saying now like using EMT or rigid raceway as the SSBJ.

So even if it was rigid conduit with a wire type SSBJ would I still need a bonding bushing/jumper since it’s terminating into K/O.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I see what you’re saying now like using EMT or rigid raceway as the SSBJ.

So even if it was rigid conduit with a wire type SSBJ would I still need a bonding bushing/jumper since it’s terminating into K/O.
IMO, no, if the conduit was terminated in a 250.97 prescribed manner.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
No bonding bushing is required for less than 250 volts to ground.
See I thought this but I thought maybe it was different since it was secondary conductors off a transformer before any OCPD

What is the exact code section to clarify.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
See I thought this but I thought maybe it was different since it was secondary conductors off a transformer before any OCPD

What is the exact code section to clarify.
Augie gave the code section in post #5. {250.97} Additional bonding around concentric or eccentric KO's begins above 250 volts to ground. The fact that there is a SDS involved is irrelevant although many think that a transformer gets wired like a service.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
I’d assume even a disconnect that is suitable for use as service equipment has concentric k/o that are listed for a reliable bonding connection but I couldn’t find any thing that said it.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Augie gave the code section in post #5. {250.97} Additional bonding around concentric or eccentric KO's begins above 250 volts to ground. The fact that there is a SDS involved is irrelevant although many think that a transformer gets wired like a service.
Thanks I just did look through it. I guess I was one of the victims who fell into the SDS wired like a service hype.

Thanks guys.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I’d assume even a disconnect that is suitable for use as service equipment has concentric k/o that are listed for a reliable bonding connection but I couldn’t find any thing that said it.
As far as I know it is pretty much the smaller boxes that are so listed. Have not seen a disconnect or panelboard with that listing

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You won't find any such listing. Concentric, eccentric, or full KO a service raceway would require bonding beyond a standard locknut. The bonding method may vary based on the type of KO. A concentric or eccentric KO would require a bonding bushing. A full KO could use a bonding bushing, bonding locknut, or a bonding wedge.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Rob, am I correct in my thinking that as long as he doesn't have concentric or eccentric ko's then he would not need bond bushings if terminated as listed in the Exception (250.97) since he has a wire type SSBJ and doesn't need the conduit to serve as a SSBJ but we are only bonding the conduit ?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Rob, am I correct in my thinking that as long as he doesn't have concentric or eccentric ko's then he would not need bond bushings if terminated as listed in the Exception (250.97) since he has a wire type SSBJ and doesn't need the conduit to serve as a SSBJ but we are only bonding the conduit ?
The conduit is bonded by the connector on the LFMC. Since it's less than 250 volts to ground nothing else is required to bond the raceway beyond the locknut. You're correct that the raceway cannot serve as the SSBJ.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
I did not word my question well..........
IF he used EMT between the transformer and the disconnect and installed a wire type SSBJ bonded to the disconnect, and the conduit was terminated at the disconnect per the exception in 250.97 (no concentric & double lockout) thus bonded, there would be no need for a grounding bushing, correct ?

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
In the pic, the split bolt caught my attention.
Yes it’s just a second main bond to satisfy my OCD LOL. The main bond jumper is this disconnect is actually the green screw from neutral bar to the can. Then the #2THHN that is directly bonded to the neutral is the GEC. So the ECG gets its bond from the case which I didn’t like, so therefor I split bolt EGC to neutral.