Status
Not open for further replies.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
That goes for me too, right man? :D
Absolutely.

Help me out here- something is still weird here.
zman has to have a 400A breaker for his 300A of PV- where's it going to go?
Can't go line side of a 400A main.
He could just get a 600A main panel then to fix that? But those cost as much as an inverter...

But besides that- he can't put 72kVA of 1ph xfmrs through what is probably a 50kVA 1ph xfmr. A 75kVA might be allowed, but a 100kVA sounds more like the right thing.

And, one might think 300A of 240V PV could go through a 50kVA xfmr, as 50kVA is a "400 amp service", but 50kVA @ 240V is only 208A. Correct?
Quite frankly, I didn't dive deeply into his design since he was so far off base with the whole landing a three phase inverter on a single phase service idea. I am glad he is now set straight on that issue, but that's as far as I am going to go with it. If he is trying to land more PV than his service will allow, his POCO will let him know.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Picture he posted in post #7 shows the label for a 400A breaker meter/main. So if he can tap that without violating the listing then he doesn't have an NEC problem.

I agree that the POCO might have its own opinion on allowing interconnection.

Picture he posted in post #7 shows the label for a 400A breaker meter/main. So if he can tap that ...

I've got it- zman! - you *can't* do a line side tap with a 400A PV breaker...because...

You said it, jben- 400A main.
here it is: (Main Disconnect: (1) 400 Amp, 2-Pole, 22 kAIC Breaker)
https://www.platt.com/platt-electri...ooper-B-Line/U404MCC/product.aspx?zpid=198160

The "line side" tap has to go on the *load* side of zman's *meter/main*! There would be no way to tell if the power for loads was coming from PV or grid or both if it was on the line/supply/POCO side of the meter.
It's only a line/supply tap when it connects *between* the meter and main- not when connect to a meter/main.

So if zman tapped the 400A of PV breaker, he'd have zero left for a distribution (not main) panel.
If he uses a 400A distribution panel "main" breaker *and* the 400A breaker for PV output...he'd have to have an *800* amp "meter main".

You can't put a 400A PV breaker and a 400A panel breaker onto an existing main 400A breaker.

If it was just a meter without the main, then 400A + 400A are ok, because you then have *two* main disconnects.

How about this- zman could get an 800A rated main panel with just a meter (not meter/main), then he could...put a 400A main breaker in that panel, and connect the 400A PV breaker at the other end of the 800/400A panel...he could connect *either* line or load side to an 800A panel?

Would he be ok with a 400A meter then? :huh:

jaggedben

Occupation
If he uses a 400A distribution panel "main" breaker *and* the 400A breaker for PV output...he'd have to have an *800* amp "meter main".

No, that is not necessarily correct. If connected supply side, as he's talking about, the PV does not count as part of the calculated load, and the OCPD can be equal to the rating of the service if connected supply side. See 705.12(A).

You can't put a 400A PV breaker and a 400A panel breaker onto an existing main 400A breaker.

That may indeed be a practical issue or a code issue with the equipment on site. One might try consulting the manufacturer on whether it's okay to modify the conductors between the meter and the main by tapping them. I have a feeling they will say no in the case of the equipment you posted a link to, although possibly there might be a provision for changing the lugs on the meter. I suppose another possibility might be to pay UL to field list the installation.

Other options might be to replace the service panel with new equipment that has provisions for tapping, or to put a new meter socket ahead of the existing service equipment, bridge the existing meter with flats, and tap in between the new meter and the existing equipment. It all depends on details of the site which we don't know.

If it was just a meter without the main, then 400A + 400A are ok, because you then have *two* main disconnects.

It is true that it's generally simpler to do a supply side tap, both code wise and practically, if the existing meter and main are separate.

1 No, that is not necessarily correct. If connected supply side, as he's talking about, the PV does not count as part of the calculated load, and the OCPD can be equal to the rating of the service if connected supply side. See 705.12(A).

2 That may indeed be a practical issue or a code issue with the equipment on site. One might try consulting the manufacturer on whether it's okay to modify the conductors between the meter and the main by tapping them. I have a feeling they will say no in the case of the equipment you posted a link to, although possibly there might be a provision for changing the lugs on the meter. I suppose another possibility might be to pay UL to field list the installation.

3 Other options might be to replace the service panel with new equipment that has provisions for tapping, or to put a new meter socket ahead of the existing service equipment, bridge the existing meter with flats, and tap in between the new meter and the existing equipment. It all depends on details of the site which we don't know.

4 It is true that it's generally simpler to do a supply side tap, both code wise and practically, if the existing meter and main are separate.

1. But...he isn't on the supply side of his disconnecting means, unless something like you said in #2 is done. He has to go on the load side of the meter with the PV connection, so if he can't get it between the meter and main breaker in the meter/main unit, he'd need an 800A breaker in the 400A meter/main. Which is not OK. The 800A breaker would be OK, just not in that 400A meter/main

"Section 705.12(A) allows for the interconnection of power production sources to the supply side of the service disconnecting means, often referred to as line-side connections. "
http://solarprofessional.com/articl...ec-section-70512-and-utility-interconnections

2. Could he use that 400A meter main for his PV meter and PV disconnect? That would be neat- the meter would read the PV output and 400A is the right size breaker. Then get a new 400A meter with *no* main and a 400A dist. panel.

3. 400A anything sure is a lot less $$ than 800A! But I'm pretty sure he's still going to need a bigger service xfmr, which shouldn't cost anything.

4. Yep. It requires one less breaker and lower amp load panel, with the same size main disconnect either way. Doesn't matter if the meter is hot or cold sequenced, or the amount of PV either- whether it's 40A or 200A of PV, hot or cold, line side is better. I tried scratching it out on paper today- looked like 25% less total amps of equipment line side for 40A of PV, and up to 60% less for 200A of PV. (PV Breaker that is)

jaggedben

Occupation
1. But...he isn't on the supply side of his disconnecting means, unless something like you said in #2 is done. He has to go on the load side of the meter with the PV connection, so if he can't get it between the meter and main breaker in the meter/main unit, he'd need an 800A breaker in the 400A meter/main. Which is not OK. The 800A breaker would be OK, just not in that 400A meter/main

More simply, if he can't get it between the meter and main breaker he's going to need to replace and/or add equipment. 800A equipment is not likely to be the best way, though.

2. Could he use that 400A meter main for his PV meter and PV disconnect?

No, at the very least he would need to add a new 400A fused disconnect.

More simply, if he can't get it between the meter and main breaker he's going to need to replace and/or add equipment. 800A equipment is not likely to be the best way, though.

No, at the very least he would need to add a new 400A fused disconnect.

Yep, an 800A panel would be a lotta $$, but it would be really simple.
An 800A panel with a 400A main breaker/main disc. and a 400A PV input breaker feeding into that panel from the opposite end. And just replace the existing 400A meter/main with a 400A meter. Done.

But could that 400A meter/main unit that he has now be used reverse fed?
As in, the PV would go from PV combiner output breaker through the meter, the 400A breaker in the same unit would be the POCO's "exterior" shut off (the breaker would be extraneous- he'd only need a switch there) and then like you say a 400A fused switch would be main disconnect #2.
Then that 400A main disc #2 would connect line side of a 400A distribution panel (main disc #1), and load side of a new 400A POCO meter?

zman- you still with us, buddy?

Here's why you can't do a line side tap with what you have now for service equip. and what you want to install. (service equipment meaning your POCO's xfmr also- I don't think it's big enough)

Your 120/240V "split phase" service is L1 L2 and N lines (really called "legs" I think?). So it's called 400A service because L1 to N=200A *and* L2 to N= 200A. Then you add those to get "400A of 120V service". You only have 200A of 240V, not enough for your 300A inverter output/400A PV breaker.

Your service is not L1 to L2...but the L1 to L2 that you have without the N = 200A.
The amperage of the service is based on the kVA of the service xfmr. If you had 400A @ 240V supply, that would be a 100kVA service transformer, and *800A* of 120V (two 400A legs of 120V).

Your main breaker in that pic you posted on page 1- the 400A meter/main...what does the actual main breaker have on it for number(s)?

I'll hazard a guess that it says either 200A in the middle of the breaker meaning both poles or 200A/200A left and right of the breaker for the same both poles.
Those are both 200A breakers-at *240V*.
Those 200A L1 and L2 legs at 120V are limited to the same kVA (24kVA each or 48kVA total) whether they're connected to N or to each other.

So that limit would be 200A of 240V, which is 200*240=48,000, or 48kVA.
400A of 120V also = 48,000 or 48kVA.

So you have a 50kVA service xfmr, not enough to handle the 300A/72kVA of PV.

ggunn

Occupation
Your 120/240V "split phase" service is L1 L2 and N lines (really called "legs" I think?). So it's called 400A service because L1 to N=200A *and* L2 to N= 200A. Then you add those to get "400A of 120V service".
No, no, no. Please stop offering people advice when you do not understand what you are talking about.

No, no, no. Please stop offering people advice when you do not understand what you are talking about.

Well...anything above 400A 1ph is non-standard service.
So I'm assuming that means a 50kVA (which is 400A @ 120V) xfmr, not a 100kVA xfmr (which is 800A at 120V)
I don't get why they'd tell you the amperage at 240V when the incoming wires are 120V.

If you've got 200A of 120V motors running, that's 24kW/kVA of load.
You can't just start running 200A of 240V on the same xfmr- it would be 2x the load, or 48kW of load.

If this Commercial 400A service option listed below and the xfmr providing it is based on the size of the load, that "size" is the amperage of the load.

A 25kVA /200A 120/240V service xfmr gives you 2 legs of 120V, each 100A/120V to neutral and also 100A/240V leg to leg (L1 to L2).
A 50kVA /400A 120/240V service xfmr gives you 2 legs of 120V, each 200A/120V to neutral and also 200A/240V leg to leg.

I can't think of any other way, with 50kVA being the standard 1 phase service xfmr could work out...the other way?
The 1 2 and 3 numbers are "notes" that don't help.

Residential --120/240 1ph -- 100A / 200A
Residential URD -- 120/240 -- 1ph / 200A
1 Residential 120/240 -- 1ph / 400A
2 Residential 120/208 -- 1ph / 100A / 200A
3Commercial -- 120/240 -- 1ph 100A / 200A
1Commercial -- 120/240 -- 1ph 400A
2Commercial -- 120/208 -- 1ph 100A / 200A

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
PVfarmer, when referring to service sizes or other wiring the amp rating is the currenty capacity of each conductor. The voltage on those conductors is an independent matter. Don't confuse the two.

So if you have a three wire, 120/240V 400A service, you nominally have three conductors each with a capacity of 400A. Since it is 120/240V, you have two hot conductors 240V apart, and one neutral conductor which is grounded and 120V away from either hot.

With that you could power a single 240V, 400A load, or two 120V, 400A loads (on opposite legs), or any combination of 120V or 240V single phase loads that would draw less than 400A on any of the three conductors.

Having said that, there are two caveats. First, the neutral conductor is often a smaller size on the service, as it will usually carry less current than the two hot conductors. The neutral carries only the unbalanced current between the two hot legs. So, for example, with 800A of 120V loads split evenly between the two hot legs of the service, the only way to get 400A on the neutral is if you turn on all the loads on one leg and turn off all the loads on the other leg. That never happens.

Second, the above discussion is from the point of view of the NEC, it applies to the wiring after the service point. The power company is in charge of the wiring before the service point, and they are allowed to use different rules for sizing their wires and their transformers. In particular, because the NEC load calculations are very conservative, and because the POCO has years and years of actual historical usage data on residences showing this, they will use a smaller transformer than the nominal service. A 400A 120V/240V service will not have a 100 kVA transformer feeding it, because the POCO knows that if the NEC calculated service size is 400A, it will never actually draw 400A, and a 50 kVA or smaller transformer will likely never be overloaded long enough for it to fail. POCO transformers are sized to be occasionally overloaded for short periods of time, they can handle it.

Cheers, Wayne

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

So I'm assuming that means a 50kVA (which is 400A @ 120V) xfmr, not a 100kVA xfmr (which is 800A at 120V)
I don't get why they'd tell you the amperage at 240V when the incoming wires are 120V.

If you've got 200A of 120V motors running, that's 24kW/kVA of load.
You can't just start running 200A of 240V on the same xfmr- it would be 2x the load, or 48kW of load.

If this Commercial 400A service option listed below and the xfmr providing it is based on the size of the load, that "size" is the amperage of the load.

A 25kVA /200A 120/240V service xfmr gives you 2 legs of 120V, each 100A/120V to neutral and also 100A/240V leg to leg (L1 to L2).
A 50kVA /400A 120/240V service xfmr gives you 2 legs of 120V, each 200A/120V to neutral and also 200A/240V leg to leg.

I can't think of any other way, with 50kVA being the standard 1 phase service xfmr could work out...the other way?
The 1 2 and 3 numbers are "notes" that don't help.

Residential --120/240 1ph -- 100A / 200A
Residential URD -- 120/240 -- 1ph / 200A
1 Residential 120/240 -- 1ph / 400A
2 Residential 120/208 -- 1ph / 100A / 200A
3Commercial -- 120/240 -- 1ph 100A / 200A
1Commercial -- 120/240 -- 1ph 400A
2Commercial -- 120/208 -- 1ph 100A / 200A

I agree with ggunn....you have no idea of what you are talking about!

ggunn

Occupation
The thing is, you do NOT add amperages on conductors to get the amps in a line. Saying that reveals a lack of understanding of some very basic concepts on your part, to the point where I do not believe you should be giving out electrical engineering advice on this forum. Just my opinion, of course.

Simply put, if you have a 200A balanced load on a 240/120V service, the total current on the line feeding the load is 200A and the current in each current carrying conductor is also 200A (the current in the neutral is zero). It's a loop that passes through the load, and the current through any point in a loop is the same.

Last edited:
1 when referring to service sizes or other wiring the amp rating is the currenty capacity of each conductor. The voltage on those conductors is an independent matter. Don't confuse the two.

2 So if you have a three wire, 120/240V 400A service, you nominally have three conductors each with a capacity of 400A. Since it is 120/240V, you have two hot conductors 240V apart, and one neutral conductor which is grounded and 120V away from either hot.

3 With that you could power two 120V, 400A loads ... that would draw less than 400A on any of the three conductors.

4 So, for example, with 800A of 120V loads split evenly between the two hot legs of the service, the only way to get 400A on the neutral is if you turn on all the loads ...

5 The power company is in charge of the wiring before the service point,

6 they will use a smaller transformer than the nominal service. A 400A 120V/240V service will not have a 100 kVA transformer feeding it,

7 POCO transformers are sized to be occasionally overloaded for short periods of time, they can handle it.

Howdy Wayne, thanks for jumping in. I must not be expressing myself correctly- we seem to be agreeing here, mostly.
When you say "POCO in charge up to service point", you mean the LV side of the xfmr, correct? Just checking.

I'm really thinking that two 400A loads is counted as 800A. 3 "you could power a single 240V, 400A load, or two 120V, 400A loads" ... 2 "you nominally have three conductors each with a capacity of 400A"

Don't you mean 400A capacity *between* the 3 wires, as in a limit?
So if you have 400A + 400A of 120V sharing the same neutral...that's either 800A on the neutral, or zero capacity left on the neutral, if the 400A is a "limit".

1. the currenty capacity of each conductor

So... a "400A service", if you count each conductor, I see as 200+200. Because with two 400A 120V conductors (48kVA each), it would be 96kVA coming from the xfmr. It would also be 400A of 240V, because that's also 96kVA.

But a 400A service isn't 100kVA, like you said, it's a 50kVA xfmr! The 50kVA coming from the xfmr comes from two points- each is supplying 120V and 200A, and you can have the two 200A loads (also called 400A) at 120V or a single load of 200A at 240V.

A 400A service supplied through a 400A rated meter main (like zman's) can't supply 120V twice, as in two 400A legs of 120V- there would be 800A going through the 400A meter socket and main breaker.

Or....the 400A main breaker will allow 48kW through, so that's 200A at 240, same as 200+200 at 120V!

If you have 180A of 240V motor loads, or 43.2kW, you only have 4.8kW, or 40 amps at 120V left on that 48kW 400A breaker.
If it was a 96kW breaker, it would allow 800A of 120V through and would have to be labeled as an 800A breaker.

---
2 I've got that- the same thing holds for a 3ph wye system, except 3 Ls and an N, the capacity is "shared" between the 4 wires instead of the 3. Correct?

3 Aren't the two Ls of 120V going to the loads "returning" on the same N? So you can have 200A on each L and therefore there would be very little amperage on the N, BUT 400A "available" capacity on N if L1 and L2 at 200A each short to each other?

4 That's where I'm losing you- if you turn on both 400A 120V loads, don't you have 800A on the neutral then?

5 The service point...can be the point where overhead wires are attached to a house, or if underground it would be the....wires coming from the LV side of pad xfmr, or is it the first switch after that for UG?

6 Right.
400A service = 50kVA service xfmr.
200A serv.= 25kVA.
100A serv. = 10kVA.
Right?

7 That has to do with the 3 hour/continuous thing, right? If someone is drawing 100A of 120V, so 12kVA all day long from a 10kVA xfmr, that might be just about the limit.
If someone with 100A service and 10kVA xfmr puts in a 200A panel and starts pulling 150A or 18kVA all day, not so good for efficiency or life of a 10kVA xfmr.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I'm really thinking that two 400A loads is counted as 800A.

You are wrong.

The addition of currents on the neutral is a fundamental part of electrical theory. It has to do with trigonometry instead of just simple addition.
Many textbooks start teaching fundamental theory using 3-phase systems and only later introduce 1-phase systems.

ggunn

Occupation
PVFarmer, isn't there a community college near you where you can go take a course in basic electric power? The reason you keep going off on so many tangents is that you do not grasp the underlying fundamentals, like that other guy who thought he could just land a three phase inverter on a single phase service. It's like you guys are trying to solve calculus problems when you haven't learned how to add and subtract.

I'm officially blue in the face now. :D

The thing is, you do NOT add amperages on conductors to get the amps in a line.

Simply put, if you have a 200A balanced load on a 240/120V service, the total current on the line feeding the load is 200A and the current in each current carrying conductor is also 200A (the current in the neutral is zero). It's a loop that passes through the load, and the current through any point in a loop is the same.

I'm not adding amperages.
I'm adding the amps of the *separate* service legs to get the service amperage.
One thing- isn't "240/120V" high leg delta? That's how I read it

I see 120/240V service as two lines of 120V which are bonded to N and ground at some point, main switch or MDP most likely.

When you run a 240V motor, there are two 120V wires to it, without the N. It's just the motor which is 240V, the loop goes into the motor and out at 120V, in on L1 and out on L2.

When you size conductors to handle 400A, what voltage are you using?
If you use 240V, then you have wires 2x the capacity needed for 120V loads.
If you use 120V to size them, they're the right size for 240V loads, which are really two hot 120V lines whose amperage hasn't changed.

A 100A panel with a main breaker that has 100/100 stamped on it can't supply over 100A of either 120 or 240V.

Same with a 400/400 stamped, or 400A breaker.
You can have 400A of 240V loads and zero 120V load. That would be 400A one way on leg A on the same 400A the other way on leg B.
You can have 200A of 240V and 200A of 120V loads. That would be 200A one way on *both* A and B legs (at 120V L-N) and another 200A going "both ways" on both A and B, L-L, again 400A
You can't have 220A of 120V on leg A *and* 200A of 120V on leg B- that's over the 400A breaker.

I look at the supply wires and breaker as sized at 120V, because the N wire is bonded to ground/earth at the closest possible point on the customer side of the "service point". To have 240V in the conductor, it would have to be 240V L-N.

The neutral has to be sized- it can be even be sized 200% of the hot wires, but it has to be sized for a reason. Which I'm in the process of researching.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
When you say "POCO in charge up to service point", you mean the LV side of the xfmr, correct? Just checking.
No, the service point is a jurisdictional boundary dependent on local rules. It could be the LV side of the POCO xfmr, it could be the line side lugs of the meter, the load side lugs of the meter, etc.

Don't you mean 400A capacity *between* the 3 wires, as in a limit?
No, I do not. Each conductor. As long as each single conductor current is less than 400A, you are good.

So if you have 400A + 400A of 120V sharing the same neutral...that's either 800A on the neutral
No, currents don't add that way. If the three conductors are called L1, L2, and N, with N the neutral between L1 and L2, then for the (positive) magnitude of their currents will obey

N = absolute value (L1 - L2)

So if L1 = L2, then N = zero, no current on the neutral. From just looking at the currents, you can't tell if that's feeding a single 240V load at 400A, or instead feeding 400A of 120V loads on L1, and 400A of 120V loads on L2.

So... a "400A service", if you count each conductor, I see as 200+200.
Wrong. We've told you this multiple times. If you want us to help you, please at least accept when you are told you are wrong and that you don't understand something.

Because with two 400A 120V conductors (48kVA each), it would be 96kVA coming from the xfmr. It would also be 400A of 240V, because that's also 96kVA.

But a 400A service isn't 100kVA, like you said, it's a 50kVA xfmr!
Correct! That's the difference between the NEC world and the POCO world. After the service point, everything installed on the 400A service will carry its maximum rated load 24/7 without a problem. But the POCO knows you won't be using 400A 24/7, they put in a 50kVA xfmr for your 96kVA service. The transformer is fine to be briefly overloaded if you draw 96kVA, but if you try to do it 24/7, you will burn up their transformer and they will yell at you. From the POCO's point of view, the 400A service is something like 400A peak, maybe 100A on average.

A 400A service supplied through a 400A rated meter main (like zman's) can't supply 120V twice, as in two 400A legs of 120V- there would be 800A going through the 400A meter socket and main breaker.
It can and it does. Each component of the 400A meter main sees no more than 400A of current when supplying a balanced set 96kVA loads at 120V.

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
A 100A panel with a main breaker that has 100/100 stamped on it can't supply over 100A of either 120 or 240V.
It can't supply over 100A to a single load. It could supply 100A to a single 240V load, or it could supply two 120V loads, each at 100A, as long as you put them on opposite legs.

You need to understand this before we can have further meaningful discussion. So work on that, if you understand my explanations so far, great, otherwise do some independent reading, if you still don't get it, try asking a basic question before jumping ahead to other things.

Cheers, Wayne

PVFarmer, isn't there a community college near you where you can go take a course in basic electric power? The reason you keep going off on so many tangents is that you do not grasp the underlying fundamentals, like that other guy who thought he could just land a three phase inverter on a single phase service. It's like you guys are trying to solve calculus problems when you haven't learned how to add and subtract.

I'm officially blue in the face now. :D

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by PVfarmer
I'm really thinking that two 400A loads is counted as 800A.

You are wrong.

The addition of currents on the neutral is a fundamental part of electrical theory. It has to do with trigonometry instead of just simple addition.
Many textbooks start teaching fundamental theory using 3-phase systems and only later introduce 1-phase systems.

I mean two 400A loads at 120V L-N, which is two legs of one main service and switch or breaker.

I know the math here is right, guys.
Just tell me this-
You have a 50kVA service transformer. That 50kVA available (which I am thinking of as "your service"), at 100% efficiency and rated capacity, is 208.3A at 100% 240V loads and also 416.6A at 100% 120V loads.

So what amperage is that service? As in, when you ask the POCO "what amperage is my service?", what will they say?

Status
Not open for further replies.