Transformer stack top each other

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have 75kva transformer bottom and on top i have 45kva transformer. I dont see anything that prohibits NEC 2017 transformer stacking but could be wrong. Is their anything I need to look out for or is in NEC 2017 regarding transformer stack on top of each other?

Charged

Occupation
Electrical Designer
Without any NEC requirements. I’m curious of any real world recommendations for spacing and clearance for servicing if needed. I was always curious why it’s not specifically addressed.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I reworked one installation like that because the upper transformer failed as a result of excessive heat. The air being drawn in at the bottom of the transformer was the hot air coming out of the lower transformer and was higher than the design temperature for the transformers, but as far as I know there is nothing in the NEC that prohibits this. The transformers that I worked on were much larger than the ones you are asking about and were in a small electrical room.
There may not be enough heat rise in your installation to be of concern.

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
Pretty generic question! Not much to go off of. Out side on a pole, inside a vault etc.
Heat rise would be my only concern a long with proper clearance.
450.45 A-F
450.13, as mentioned

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Pretty generic question! Not much to go off of. Out side on a pole, inside a vault etc.
Heat rise would be my only concern a long with proper clearance.
450.45 A-F
450.13, as mentioned

See attached its in electrical room

876ffbc3a921514094252af6ef92a278.jpg

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
Take a look at the mech plans and see if the room have temp controlled ventilation. I bet it does.
If so I would say ok as long as 450.13 is applied.

A field view would be in relation to the location. If room allowed staggering the transformers when stacked. Not a code thing just a installation observation for the area.

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
Splitting hair however I get it. Thank you. We we work for Wall Mart it is a requirement for any transformer hanging.
I like the way they used them for a wall mount installation. Adding that one to my tool box.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220226-113131.png
    Screenshot_20220226-113131.png
    138.7 KB · Views: 6

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
Back to topic.
This just for some FYI.
Took from an Eaton PDF.
As far as stacking goes it does not recommend however does not prevent. Just take precautions that's all and read the installation instructions.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220226-112231.png
    Screenshot_20220226-112231.png
    534.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20220226-112155.png
    Screenshot_20220226-112155.png
    295.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20220226-112042.png
    Screenshot_20220226-112042.png
    346.3 KB · Views: 20

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Here are some from a hospital project a while back. Not suspended but stacked.

1645897785958.png

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I note that all of the examples of 'stacked' transformers shown actually have separate support for the transformers, and space between them.

Not simply one transformer simply sitting on top of the other.

IMHO 'stacking' as shown in the examples provided is probably fine. But the drawing that hhsting provides doesn't show any of the mounting details.

I doubt the sheet metal enclosure of the 75kVA unit is rated for any sort of weight bearing. They are pretty sturdy, but not designed nor evaluated as load bearing platforms.

Jon

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Quite common in manufactured power walls. A pain changing them out though. I had one that the manufacturer no longer made, and had to remove the new one from an self contained enclosure to fit in the gear enclosure. Of course none of the mount matched, and had to relocate the factory bracing.

Status
Not open for further replies.