Transformer stack top each other

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
It's done all of the time without any issues.

View attachment 2559612
I remember one installation I was involved with having three stacked pretty much directly on each other. Reinforcement was added so the lid of the lower one(s) wasn't bearing all the load above it.

Ambient temp and air circulation factor into what you might be able to get away with. The application I had also had a large vacuum pump in same room that produced fair amount of heat when running. This room was power ventilated though and other than fact it had a roof over it was about like having it outdoors on north side of the building ambient temp wise.

Your image of the ones near the ceiling- may or may not have more ambient temp issues than the ones near the floor. More details needed to know for certain.

Loading characteristics on the transformer factor in also. Could need high capacity but for short time in some cases. That gives them time to cool before next high capacity cycle.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Ambient temp and air circulation factor into what you might be able to get away with. The application I had also had a large vacuum pump in same room that produced fair amount of heat when running. This room was power ventilated though and other than fact it had a roof over it was about like having it outdoors on north side of the building ambient temp wise.
The air temperature within a building has never been an issue with the transformers we install. Maybe it's because these things are over engineered to the point where they don't even get hot. I've never even touched a transformer case that was anything more than warm.

The OP is questioning whether or not this is a good practice and I'm saying we do it all of the time without issue. :)

The air temperature within a building has never been an issue with the transformers we install. Maybe it's because these things are over engineered to the point where they don't even get hot. I've never even touched a transformer case that was anything more than warm.

The OP is questioning whether or not this is a good practice and I'm saying we do it all of the time without issue. :)
I was wondering about the heat issue of having a bunch of transformers in an electrical room, like Roger's picture post #16... Say you have 4 @ 75KVA, probably 98% efficient? That is 6KW of heat. I guess most stuff is lightly loaded though.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I was wondering about the heat issue of having a bunch of transformers in an electrical room, like Roger's picture post #16... Say you have 4 @ 75KVA, probably 98% efficient? That is 6KW of heat. I guess most stuff is lightly loaded though.
The electrical closets in hospitals typically have multiple transformers.

Roger

garbo

I have 75kva transformer bottom and on top i have 45kva transformer. I dont see anything that prohibits NEC 2017 transformer stacking but could be wrong. Is their anything I need to look out for or is in NEC 2017 regarding transformer stack on top of each.

Status
Not open for further replies.