Tray cable vs mining or buss cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Been working with a few runs of 500 MCM tray cable, largest I’ve ever worked. 4 cdr at 500 MCM, 1 cdr #2. Mighty stiff & heavy for the application.

I’ve briefly worked with mining cables before, made like a giant SO cord. I think it was about 4 ought. It was heavy but very flexible. I’ve also worked a bit with buss wire, similar in flexibility.

Has anyone seen mining cable in 500 MCM? I might suggest it to the boss if it is easily available.

ron

What is the application? What did you think you liked about mining cable that you are asking about? Is it the fine stranding of the conductors that you liked or the durability of the jacket?

We used 535kcmil RHW-2 conductors often for the flexibility in tray to terminate to tight battery bus bar and UPS systems

jmellc

Occupation
The application is from a generator trailer, tray through a wall, then a 2-3 foot drop to an outdoor control cabinet. Entering top of cabinet with 10 cables, 40 500 MCM to terminate to buss. Each one comes down & must do a 12-18 inch 90 to hit its spot. Every factor is against us on the outdoor end. Standard 500 THHN is very heavy, very stiff, plus we’re doing it in winter. Also, the factory twist in the conductors is another factor. Well have to use that. It’s already bought & delivered.

I liked the mining cable for its flexibility. I worked with it a few years ago for another employer. Much easier to do bends in tight spaces. The outer jacket was very durable. We used it on rocky ground, from outdoor MDP to various work trailers & transformers. Inspector had never seen it before but loved it. Final termination was only difficulty with it. The fine strands & rope lay stranding made it harder to get into lugs. We will be using crimp on lugs here & bolting to buss. But I think the extra trouble terminating would be worth it for being easier to handle.

I’ve never seen 535 kcmil that I recall. Did you have to special order it?

synchro

Occupation
EE
Following Ron's suggestion I found this supplier of 500 MCM RHW-2, but I'm sure there are other sources of it out there as well:

https://www.nassaunationalcable.com/...00-xlp-rhh-rhw

By the way, I would confirm with a supplier how fine the stranding is before you purchase RHW-2 conductors because the RHW-2 designation is just for the insulation.
From the pictures they give at the site I provided it looks like what you might want, but I wouldn't rely on this alone.

jmellc

Occupation
No, I’m sure we would need multi conductor cable with outer jacket for outdoor use in our application.

jmellc

Occupation
Synchro, some of those cables look good for this type work.

We have to use the TC cable we have for this job but I’m asking the foreman to look into this for any similar project in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.