Trick for getting stuck covers off of explosion proof boxes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyoligist2

I run in to this often due to the sewer environment. The screw out cover for O-Cal explosion proof junction boxes are corroded and stuck. I have tried WD-40 and other penetrating oils without success. I end up destroying the cover, and sometimes the box before I get it off.

Any suggestions?

wallyworld

On GRSS type boxes(screw on cover) I put a hole saw thru the cover, a hole saw just smaller than the cover which leaves the threads untouched. then use a hacksaw blade to split it. It means buying another box to get the cover but.. Once the drill penetrates the cover I shorten it up so it doesn't cause any havoc with the wiring in the box. I'm generally not worried about the atmosphere around or in the box. That may not be the issue with your circumstances?

renosteinke

I believe that the use of an anti-seize compound would be allowed. Noalox is one such compound that is also listed as an anti-seize product.

Would an antiseize compound be considered a 'sealant,' and thus be prohibited? I think not. The liquid carrier of the compound will evaporate, leaving nothing but metal dust behind. That dust is what keeps the faces from corroding together, and acts as a dry lubricant. That's why such products are so useful at high temperatures.

Indeed, I learned of this practice in an extremely 'hazard conscious' oil-industry job. Since those are pretty much the folks who wrote the book on classified locations, I expect they knew what they were doing.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Kopr-kote is my favorite anti-seive, and grounding path assit dope for serious GRC and classified spaces. Biggest thing i have against it, is that it spreads faster than Nuclear radiation...Gets on everything and covers a square mile for one little drop in the wrong spot.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
try KROIL--The oil that creeps!!--Best stuck stuff unsticker I have ever seen!

Status
Not open for further replies.