Trilliant Breakers - for lack of a better place

Status
Not open for further replies.

aelectricalman

Re: Trilliant Breakers - for lack of a better place

Call me an idiot, but I can't determine the size of the service entry feeder currently in the materbase from the XFMR. There is no writing on the legs. Im pretty sure it is 4/0 aluminum, which is not suitable for 300 amps from our side, only 200amps. The conduit is 2 inch but the meter is a 300 amp meter with double lugs already there. Does the PoCo commonly not follow the NEC standards. I understand that they are different and do not have to follow, but why would they not follow. Does the NEC have "above and beyond " requirements, or is the PoCo wrong by using a 4/0 aluminum for the 300 amp meter base. I would have used 350 kcmil in a 2.5 -3 inch pipe. Is 4/0 aluminum ok to use for a 300 amp service from the PoCos end of the service?

Editted to fix my ebonics.

[ June 26, 2005, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: aelectricalman ]

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by aelectricalman:
Does the PoCo commonly not follow the NEC standards. I understand that they are different and do not have to follow, but why would they not follow.
The short answer is because they do not have to and it works fine.

Also as our power company friends would tell us they provide a lifetime warranty. If it ever breaks they will be there to fix it.

Now the longer answer.

The NEC service calculations that you will use to determine you need a 200 amp service lie. :p

The power companies know from many, many years of providing services to millions of services what the 'real' load is as compared to the NEC calculations.

is the PoCo wrong by using a 4/0 aluminum for the 300 amp meter base. I would have used 350 kcmil in a 2.5 -3 inch pipe.
Don't even think about what the power company uses for conductors, all that does is make you wonder why you have to run the 350 Kcmils.

So forget about the power company's conductors and base the service size on the metering equipment and the service disconnect.

aelectricalman

I wouldn't worry about what the PoCo does, however, it is an underground service. The difference in my price will reflect whether or not the service needs to be changed to widen the conduit and up the service feeders gauge. :eek:

physis

Doesn't the lateral belong to the property owner?

If it does I think it has to comply with NEC.

aelectricalman

Id like the PoCo to confirm or disconfirm that the wire size is ample. Since they dont do things like the NEC its hard to verify if it is ample. I was wondering if most pocos will allow a 300 amp service to be ran from a 4/0 aluminum SE feeder.

physis

They just might use that. And I never hesitate to give 'em a call with a question like that. I was thinking the same thing.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by physis:
Doesn't the lateral belong to the property owner?

If it does I think it has to comply with NEC.
It may or may not.

That would depend on where the utility determines the 'service point' is located.

90.2(B) Not Covered. This Code does not cover the following:

(5)Installations under the exclusive control of an electric utility where such installations

a.Consist of service drops or service laterals, and associated metering, or

b.Are located in legally established easements, rights-of-way, or by other agreements either designated by or recognized by public service commissions, utility commissions, or other regulatory agencies having jurisdiction for such installations, or

c.Are on property owned or leased by the electric utility for the purpose of communications, metering, generation, control, transformation, transmission, or distribution of electric energy.

iwire

Staff member

Id like the PoCo to confirm or disconfirm that the wire size is ample. Since they dont do things like the NEC its hard to verify if it is ample. I was wondering if most pocos will allow a 300 amp service to be ran from a 4/0 aluminum SE feeder.
Are you changing the load on the service or just the overcurrent protection.

Unless you are adding substantial load to the service I doubt the power company will care.

That said do what Sam said and give them a call.

physis

By Bob:

Are you changing the load on the service or just the overcurrent protection.
I think one of the things that gets left out of the equation sometimes with this sort of thing is changes that might have been made since the service was originally installed.

The load could be completely different than the original.

You might as well do a new load calculation while you're at it Chris. :( :D

hurk27

Here it is very common for the POCO to feed a 320 meter with 4/0 alu. underground to the meter fitting, if you have double lugs then you just need to run in with another set of service entrance conductors and call it a day.

This is a very common installation for us with a large house.
Set a 320 meter with double lugs and run two 2" conduits to two 200 amp panels just inside with main breakers. the wire is sized for the mains.
The problem is when one of the panels is spected to be on the other side of the house and we have to install a disconnect. This disconnect has to be close to the first MB panel to comply with 230.72. ;)

hurk27

OH by the way if nobody has said it yet trilliant is now a part of Square D (Schnieder Electric) And can be found here at this link:
Trilliant Home Power System

Edited to add that 2-pole 50 thru 100 amp is no longer available

[ June 26, 2005, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

physis

Wait till they're finished with the B through F FI breakers. :D

aelectricalman

Originally posted by hurk27:
OH by the way if nobody has said it yet trilliant is now a part of Square D (Schnieder Electric) And can be found here at this link:
Trilliant Home Power System

Edited to add that 2-pole 50 thru 100 amp is no longer available
I have 6 gfcis 15s and 20s. Rolling in the dough, If I can get someone to buy them. :D Also, Square D has always owned Trilliant. If anyone ever needs, I have many Trilliants up to 60 amps. They will cost you, but I have them.

physis

There's a local distributer around here (a few bikers that sell hard to get breakers) I've been meaning to give them a call to see if they have those.

Status
Not open for further replies.