Tripping Main Breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKOEHLER

If A Rtu Trips A 90a Breaker And Also The 1200a Main Multiple Times. Is This A Sign Of A Weak Main, All The Trip Settings Are At Max?

iwire

Staff member
It's a sign of a bad RTU. :smile:

My guess is no one has ever properly set the GFP protection or other settings on the main breaker.

zog

I agree, most likely wrong setting, "All at max" is a red flag.

Could be the breaker, testing would prove that, but in this case I think wrong settings is the culprit.

quogueelectric

Open all j boxes

Open all j boxes

And control panels and look for signs of burning or explosion. It is probably a bugnut blown out Overcurrent tripping the 90 and ground fault tripping the main. So look for a short on 1 leg to ground. Look for signs of discoloration in the sealtite I have seen where a ground was never pulled and it turned the grey sealtite black melting the feeder cables when I opened the disconnect and saw the insulation melted all the way down to the steel bushing still energized I nearly soiled myself. It melted the wire so badly to the inside of the pipe that I snaped a 1inch rope in a live gear and nearly soiled myself again. This was a long time ago young and stupid now I will just schedule a shutdown on Saturday for some more overtime.

SKOEHLER

There's No Doubt About A Bad Rtu, But Why Do They Both Trip At The Same Time, And The 1200a Main Is Set At Max Shouldn't The Main Only Trip At The Full Load Currant Rating?

zog

No, GF is a different setting and has an inverse time charteristic. Post exactly what type of breaker and trip unit you have with all of the settings, and I can explain more.

brian john

1. Is this 480/277?
2. Is there GFP?
3. Is the GFP in the CB or separate?
4. Has the GFP been tested?
5. Has the CB been tested?
6. What are the ranges and setting on the Main CB?
7. Has anyone measured for grounds current at the main neutral bond connection?
8. You reset a 1200 AMP CB without knowing why it tripped BIG NO NO.

GFP=Ground Fault Protection

charlie tuna

any body ever heard of a data logger??? it will take all the guess work out of the problem without damaging other equipment or possibly killing someone???

SKOEHLER

brian john said:
1. Is this 480/277?
2. Is there GFP?
3. Is the GFP in the CB or separate?
4. Has the GFP been tested?
5. Has the CB been tested?
6. What are the ranges and setting on the Main CB?
7. Has anyone measured for grounds current at the main neutral bond connection?
8. You reset a 1200 AMP CB without knowing why it tripped BIG NO NO.

GFP=Ground Fault Protection
1. YES
2. YES
3. IN THE CB
4. NO
5. NO
6. DON'T KNOW
7. NO
8. I KEPT RESETTING THE MCB TILLTHE SMOKE STOPPED AND IT FINALLY HELD. (JUST JOKIN). 1ST PRIORITY IS TO MAKE $ FOR MY COMPANY. 2ND IS TO DO SO AS SAFE IS POSSIBLE. NEITHER OF WHICH CAN BE DONE IF AN EMPLOYEE OF THE CUSTOMER RESETS THE CB 3 TIMES. TO ANSWER THIS ? NO I DID NOT RESET A 1200A MAIN BRAKER.

brian john

1ST PRIORITY IS TO MAKE $ FOR MY COMPANY.

NO your first priority is safety I have completed several investigations were the electricians doing the EXACT same procedure was severely injured and 2 cases WORSE. A little bit of time doing proper investigation will save you from injury and possible death and how much money does the company lose if the gear vaporizes.

Believe me the average manager that was screaming get the power on will not stand behind should someone get hurt. "While he said he knew what he was doing.

As for power analyzer we use them all the time, but usually after we are at a point we cannot make a determination of what is the issue. Most times with proper investigative technique the cause of tripping can be located.

Status
Not open for further replies.