Troubleshoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrician
What are the effects of not having a balance electrical panel or unbalanced phase especially in Single phase and Three Phase?

Sent from my TECNO B1g using Tapatalk

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Mostly additional heating in things like transformers if you are talking strictly load (current). If the voltage is unbalanced as well, then the heating effects travel down to motors.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
Doesn’t this also cause more current to travel on neutral during unbalance? If more heating on transformer then utility takes the hit not consumer as much?

garbo

Doesn’t this also cause more current to travel on neutral during unbalance? If more heating on transformer then utility takes the hit not consumer as much?
The grounded conductor ( neutral ) on common single phase three wire Edison system only carried the imbalance. Example if one hot service wire was drawing 65 amps and the other hot wire drawing 40 os the grounded conductor would only draw 25 amps. If harmonics was high the neutral might draw a few more amps.

garbo

What are the effects of not having a balance electrical panel or unbalanced phase especially in Single phase and Three Phase?

Sent from my TECNO B1g using Tapatalk
I all my 50 years have never once came across a single or three phase panel that were what you termed balanced .Only time in a 3 wire 120/240 volt panel that you would be balanced if both energized feeders had the exact same ampere and identical power factor loads. Best practice is to attempt to balance loads when I stalling conductors on circuit breakers. I always place the two 20 amp required kitchen counter top receptacles on different buss plugs . ( one on the say red service conductor feed and the other on the black wire ). Place kitchen refrigerator on opposite pole then the dishwasher & garbage dispoasl. . At one company that I worked at we took ampere readings on panels during hot summer days then coldest winter days. Reason being that at least two panels blow the 100 & a150 amp fuse that feed them. Was amazed how much some panel legs varied greatly between summer & winter.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
For us, US, it's one leg of the 120/240 being overloaded. 60 A on L1 and 5 on L2. For small services, L1 to neutral voltage may suffer.
Yes, I know but I don't think is really single phase if you have two different voltages.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
American (and Canadian) houses are fed from a center-tapped 240-volt single-phase transformer secondary.
The centertap is earthed.
It's called "neutral", which it isn't really, unless both hot legs are drawing exactly the same current (equal & opposite) as each other.
Small loads use 120 volts, centertap and one hot (ungrounded) leg.
Large loads use 240 volts, both hot legs.
Americans have long been arguing over nomenclature: Single-phase? Two phases, 180° apart? Single, split phase?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It's still only one phase, with the center tap providing multiple voltages.

My posts from previous threads:

"Center-tapping a secondary doesn't change anything except available voltages. It's still only single-phase. Looking at either line from the neutral point exhibits a difference of polarity, as we debated a while back."

"We had quite the debate about this a few years ago. We concluded that it is a polarity issue that, because it involves AC, merely resembles a 180-degree phase shift. If it involved DC, there would have been no polarity-vs-shift debate."

"It's analogous (in one frozen moment in time) to two batteries in series supplying both 1.5v and 3v loads. The DC is additive because of the polarity of each cell (in phase); if you reversed one, you'd still have two 1.5v sources, but no 3v source (out of phase).

What's the real point of the discussion is polarity, plain and simple. A secondary comprised of two 120v windings must be connected "in phase" to provide 240v, and at the same time, mimic a center-tapped 240v secondary, and provide two 120v sources."

"Let's start by using one end of the secondary as the reference (ground) instead of the center tap, and call the tap L1 and the far end as L2. Any argument as to phasing or polarity now? We're all in phase now, right? Only the magnitude of voltage is different. If this were DC, as per my battery analogy, we would be discussing polarity. To me, that it's AC changes nothing.

With two batteries in series, and measuring with a DC voltmeter, one would place the black lead on the negative terminal, regardless of whether testing either one or both batteries, right? The center-tapped-neutral argument is like keeping the black test lead on the center-point of the two batteries, and then wondering why one battery seems to have a reversed polarity."

"How much can we complicate the simple? Egad! My opinions and observations, in no particular order:

We don't have to use the neutral as a reference; if we did, we'd never be able to make line-to-line voltage measurements.

If using L1 as the reference, nobody would argue there is a phase or timing issue when measuring to N or L2.

What changes when using N as the reference is instantaneous polarity, nothing else. The only thing shifted is probe location.

A dual-secondary transformer with the secondaries in series is electrically identical to a center-tapped secondary.

To function correctly, two secondaries must be wired "in phase" when wired in parallel, as well as when wired in series.

When using the neutral as the reference, the polarity is inverted, and resembles, but is not the same as, a 180-degree time shift.

If a person is standing, and does an about-face, they have made a 180-degree change, but that has nothing to do with time.

The D.C. analogy is suitable for this discussion, because the absolute polarity does not matter as long as both batteries are reversed.

If the two halves of a center-tapped secondary were genuinely out-of-phase, the line-to-line output would be zero volts."

""if you have a scope, observe polarity and use 2 probes, L1-n and L2-n, you WILL get 2 waveforms 180 deg out of phase; that is incontrovertible fact, no matter what spin is applied"

If, however, you probe L1-N and then N-L2, then you would consider the two to be in phase, correct? Keeping one probe on the center tap is a measurement choice, just as grounding that point is a design choice.

Technically speaking, because of the choice to ground the center tap, and the choice to use the center tap as your reference (grounded probe), you're inverting the probes as you apply them to the terminals.

If you were scoping a pair of batteries, would you keep the grounded probe on the center point between them, or move both probes, keeping the polarity consistent, with the grounded probe toward negative?

I will agree that, if I were scoping a dual-polarity DC power supply, I would keep the grounded probe on the grounded center-tap, but I would acknowledge that I'm seeing an expected polarity difference."

The long thread: https://forums.mikeholt.com/threads/may-i-ask-a-question-about-the-single-vs-two-phase-stuff.144013/

Besoeker3

Occupation
I certainly don't have the knowledge to argue your point.

Single phase is what it's called throughout the country.
I know. USA, Liberia, and Myanmar are the only countries that still use the Imperial system................................:)

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
I've seen two problems with unbalanced loads. Both were with 3-phase and both were self-inflicted at gas compression sites where single phase loads caused the 3-phase load to become unbalanced.

The first one resulted in a power oscillation. When the site had a certain amount of demand, some single phase loads were shed via plc control. But the hysteresis in the program wasn't large enough resulting in the plc program often cycling the single phase loads on and off and on and off. I was told to re-arrange the single phase loads so that they would be more balanced and the program wouldn't go into "shedding mode" so soon. There wasn't much that could be done and still wouldn't solve the problem at this nor at other sites.

The other one was where the three phase loads were wye-delta start air compressors and the single phase load was a 480/240-120 split phase transformer feeding an MCC. The problem occurred when during a planned utility power shutdown and the generator kicked in. The single phase load came on immediately but the 3-phase had a delay, resulting in the generator tripping on load imbalance. Checking, it was set to trip at 25%, so I bumped it up to 50% and it still tended to trip until utility power was restored. Contacted the company and the supervisor (a union journeyman) felt that 50% was too high and instructed me to lower it to 40% (?!?!?). Working for a contractor with a service contract to the gas company, I did as asked. Later they found out it was supposed to be set to 75%. Not long after, the service contract was changed so the gas company had exclusive use of my services, I found other work. This kind of ignorance wasn't the only reason.

Same outfit had delta-wye 480/208 transformers installed for exhaust fans as step up transformers. Had to explain a number of times why they were in violation due to no grounding on the 480 secondary. Same with a 480/240 delta-delta...

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Yes, I know but I don't think is really single phase if you have two different voltages.
We are perfectly happy working with systems that have multiple voltages, and even systems with different voltages that have offset phases from each other because of transformer type.
To keep track of things like 4 phase (actually arguably two phase) with 90 degree shifts, three phase, hexaphase (arguably three phase with opposite polarity conductors for each 120 degree offset, we (those of us who are logical and consistent, and the code writers who may not be either) base our phase count on the vectors (actually phasors) involved.
Vector algebra tells us that if you have any two vectors which are not collinear you can combine them with different coefficients toproduce a vector in any direction you want. So there is a critical difference between having two phasors which are opposited in polarity and two phasors that are at any angle other than 0 or 180.
Based on that, 120-0-120 center tapped or split phase is considered to be one phase.

Besoeker3

Occupation
We are perfectly happy working with systems that have multiple voltages, and even systems with different voltages that have offset phases from each other because of transformer type.
To keep track of things like 4 phase (actually arguably two phase) with 90 degree shifts, three phase, hexaphase (arguably three phase with opposite polarity conductors for each 120 degree offset, we (those of us who are logical and consistent, and the code writers who may not be either) base our phase count on the vectors (actually phasors) involved.
Vector algebra tells us that if you have any two vectors which are not collinear you can combine them with different coefficients toproduce a vector in any direction you want. So there is a critical difference between having two phasors which are opposited in polarity and two phasors that are at any angle other than 0 or 180.
Based on that, 120-0-120 center tapped or split phase is considered to be one phase.
Yes, I am aware of that and I appreciate it - I'm a bit of a world traveller including USA and have a lovely wife I ambushed from there. I just wish the system there was so much simpler than in other countries including UK.

garbo

Yes, I am aware of that and I appreciate it - I'm a bit of a world traveller including USA and have a lovely wife I ambushed from there. I just wish the system there was so much simpler than in other countries including UK.
Never ever heard or read of four phase. I have worked on 3,4 & 5 wire TWO phase systems over 45 years ago. We had a 3 wire two phase 2300 volt transformer supplying two phase 240 volt power to another building. Good luck trying to find a new 30 or 60 amp safety switch nowadays. Here in Philly they still have some old two.phase services. In my mind to ever have 4 phase service you would need 8 conductors ( 2 per phase ). Worst thing with two phase power if you cross phased say a two phase 4 wire motor think you only get around 170 volts and burn the motor out. I have came across that a few times. We always marked one of the two phase windings with red tape and the other winding with blue tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.