Troubleshooting a customer's home

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
I didn't know they weren't UL listed. Some of our supply houses that sell them are in violation of NC law in that case. NC requires any electrical equipment to be listed by UL or some other approved testing lab.

Of course, not being UL listed does not mean it's not a good product. Lots of junk carries a UL label.

Is it illegal for them to sell things that are not listed? Probably not. Is it a code violation for you to install something that is not listed that is required by code to be listed? Yes.

If an item is not selling they will discontinue stocking it. If it is unlawful to sell it, reputable companies will not sell it.

Last edited:

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Is it illegal for them to sell things that are not listed? Probably not. Is it a code violation for you to install something that is not listed that is required by code to be listed? Yes.

If an item is not selling they will discontinue stocking it. If it is unlawful to sell it, reputable companies will not sell it.

State of NC requires that all electrical equipment should have UL or equivalent label to be legally sold in NC. I don't know chapter & verse, but it's been shown to me before.

kwired

Electron manager
State of NC requires that all electrical equipment should have UL or equivalent label to be legally sold in NC. I don't know chapter & verse, but it's been shown to me before.

Could be.

NEC mentions some items that must be listed. AFAIK all other items are not required to be listed. Many are but not all are.

There are some places where it mentions something only needs listed if it does not meet otherwise general requirements.

Examples: Ground rods must be 5/8 inch diameter. They can be smaller if listed

Metal protective plates that prevent nail or screw penetration into concealed raceways or cables need to be 1/16 inch thick. They can be less if listed.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Old hippies? Convince them that the FPE is slowly smoldering, leaking toxic fumes, & that the brand you recommend guarantees "green" manufacturing & materials. Or try the CH retrofit, a CH buss that installs into another panel can. Not sure if it would fit FPE, would have to check with a dealer where you are. Sell them on only having to disposed of the guts, not the can. If you have an old hippy in the family, take him along to help clinch the sale. Buy him a new hash pipe for his trouble.:D

IIRCC, one of the problems with the FPE cans was insufficient gutter space to provide the proper bend radius for wiring up.

kwired

Electron manager
IIRCC, one of the problems with the FPE cans was insufficient gutter space to provide the proper bend radius for wiring up.

I think that was a problem with many other panels being manufactured at that time also. Especially if it was 100 amp or less with plug in style breakers. I hate running into some of them that use 2-30 half size breakers and put them plus all the conductors into a a tiny can. If you have to do much in there, it is like digging a hole and then trying to get all the dirt replaced back into the hole. It often will not all fit back into the hole - without something to compact it.

Status
Not open for further replies.