True minimum clear distances, Table 110.26(A)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Strat, if the working space is now at 36” because that is all that is needed since the wall is 12’ , what stops someone from building a wall 41” away? 42” of clearance is now needed.

The same code we have been talking about, at that time condition 2 takes effect. That is why I said, the conditions are not even in consideration until they are. The same thing that stops them from building an ungrounded partition or planting a tree at 24 inches.

[Edit] Really Jumper thinking about this, that question can be asked about virtually every code in the book. What if someone violates something in the future.

jumper

The same code we have been talking about, at that time condition 2 takes effect. That is why I said, the conditions are not even in consideration until they are. The same thing that stops them from building an ungrounded partition or planting a tree at 24 inches.

[Edit] Really Jumper thinking about this, that question can be asked about virtually every code in the book. What if someone violates something in the future.

I get your point but since the idea is protecting sparkies, I am sticking with 42” so no hammerhead or brickie gets a chance to encroach on my working space with some wall or such.:D

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I get your point but since the idea is protecting sparkies, I am sticking with 42” so no hammerhead or brickie gets a chance to encroach on my working space with some wall or such.:D

A mop bucket is a far more likely threat with or without yellow paint on the ground.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
The language in 110.26 is circular, so the question at hand can't be answered from the code language. The table defines the working space depth in terms of the condition, but the condition is defined in terms of the working space (and hence its depth). The condition definitions should probably be phrased in terms of what is located at the condition 3 distance for the given voltage, rather than in terms of the working space.

Cheers, Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.