trying to identify replacement parts for old HVL (bathroom heat-vent-light)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Serious

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My customer has this old rusty thing, the vent fan part is in need of replacement. It's a home warranty job and the home warranty company won't pay enough to replace the whole unit. Anyone recognize this and know what replacement part I need to order, fan motor and fan assembly? I didn't find a model number on anything here.
02.jpg cover.jpg

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
Try McCombs Supply Co. They specialize in old replacement parts. Their website says they need a model #, But they have solved problems for me before by looking at a picture. Hope this helps. :)

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If you have a Nutone/Broan center near you check with them. How much are they paying you to research and run around to try and fine parts the are most likely obsolete? I will probably be less expensive to replace.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would make a formal appeal to the warranty company that replacement is the only option.

What is their intention if you tell them that no replacement parts are available?

Will they provide for unlimited labor for adapting new parts to the existing housing?

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
In California we have Johnstone Supply. With our maintenance contract customers, we offer other minor electrical services on our semi-annual inspections. Changing light bulbs, switches etc.
Johnstone has a great inventory on small appliances.

4x4dually

Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Ex-Electrician
It is very likely that the parts will cost as much or more than a new unit. I'd toss that thing in the ditch and move on. As a homeowner, I'd come up with the difference in the warranty payment for used parts if they are in fact cheaper and the cost of a new one and get that old thing out of there. It appears the homeowner is meticulous at keeping it clean and in 'non-fire trap' condition.

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
I would quote replacement parts and buy new unit. This way you work within the scope. You are replacing parts. Just me.
I have had to buy a whole fan just for the part. Cheaper than the part separate.

Mr. Serious

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Thanks for all replies. Indeed, these home warranty companies are hard to work with sometimes. I have a new list ready to send to them - my prices for going to each surrounding community. Because they always try to send me out to places an hour or more away and not want to pay for a trip charge.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Thanks for all replies. Indeed, these home warranty companies are hard to work with sometimes. I have a new list ready to send to them - my prices for going to each surrounding community. Because they always try to send me out to places an hour or more away and not want to pay for a trip charge.
See post #6

kwired

Electron manager
It is very likely that the parts will cost as much or more than a new unit.
But an OEM replacement that fits correctly without need for any modifications installs in minutes, vs two or three hours for some replacements, even then drywall could still need repaired afterwards. I also hate eating insulation and whatever else comes out of the hole when replacing it.

That said, last time I wanted motor for an ancient Nutone fan, I found out they discontinued many those really old components. There may be others out there still making some parts that are a match or are very close and can possibly be made to work for some of these fans.

After they have surpassed 50 years of age, I sort of don't blame them for no longer making some those parts.

robertd

Occupation
electrical contractor
It is very likely that the parts will cost as much or more than a new unit. I'd toss that thing in the ditch and move on. As a homeowner, I'd come up with the difference in the warranty payment for used parts if they are in fact cheaper and the cost of a new one and get that old thing out of there. It appears the homeowner is meticulous at keeping it clean and in 'non-fire trap' condition.
>It appears the homeowner is meticulous at keeping it clean and in 'non-fire trap' condition.
The spray on asbestos on the drywall will protect them from a fire. :oops: The smoke may still get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.