two 20 amp circuits terminating in one box

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran in to a situation today with two 12/2 underground feeds going in to the same junction box. Each of these are generated from seperate 20 amp breakers. This does not seem correct to me but I cannot find anything in the NEC about it. Looking for help!
Joe

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I don't think you are going to find an article that addresses this. I think it is perfectly acceptable.

Welcome to the forum.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I don't think you are going to find an article that addresses this. I think it is perfectly acceptable.

Welcome to the forum.
Agreed on all three points. :)

I will add that the EGC's should be inter-connected, but no circuit conductors, even the grounded ones (neutrals), should not be.

walton

Not exactly an answer to your question but close. Look at 300.3 (C) (1) Conductors of Different Systems. Sounds like both circuits originate from the same panel.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Since you said that they're underground, are not a MWBC and are in the same box, do they terminate on a structure? If so you may have a problem with 225.30.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
If the "box" in question is in another structure,,,,then I think 225.30 does apply here.

What he is saying is the basic rule is each building or structure is served by a single branch circuit or feeder. For example if you want three 20 amp circuits to your garage, you can't run 3 12-2 UFs, you pull a feeder.

But it depends on what your box is. A pull box is OK, a panel box is not.

mcclary's electrical

What he is saying is the basic rule is each building or structure is served by a single branch circuit or feeder. For example if you want three 20 amp circuits to your garage, you can't run 3 12-2 UFs, you pull a feeder.

But it depends on what your box is. A pull box is OK, a panel box is not.

I disagree,,,,,,,what the box is DOESN"T MATTER,,,,,if it's a seperate structure,,,,and the box is inside of that structure,,,,,you cannot feed it with (2) cables on seperate circuits. PANEL OR JUNCTION BOX, same outcome, not ok

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The key for me is the word underground which could mean a separate structure.
Yes it could. But it could also mean 2 circuits that remain within the same structure, or are run from and to the same structure but are routed outside the bounds of said structure.

Last edited:

Jim W in Tampa

I ran in to a situation today with two 12/2 underground feeds going in to the same junction box. Each of these are generated from seperate 20 amp breakers. This does not seem correct to me but I cannot find anything in the NEC about it. Looking for help!
Joe
As an inspector we hope you don't tag without a code number to back it up. So far you gave us too little info to tag this.
Welcome to the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.