Two clampmeters. Same problem. Everything but voltage works

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAC702

Years ago, I shelved my nearly new Ideal 61-766 because the voltage readings weren't working anymore. I didn't have time to mess with it, and replaced it with a Fieldpiece as I was getting into HVAC work, and they do pipe temperature conveniently.

Yesterday, I got the exact same problem with my daily-used Fieldpiece SC240.

So I've got both on the test bench now. Fresh batteries don't help. Neither will give any meaningful readings on 120V power tests or 9V battery tests, so neither AC nor DC voltage functions are working.

The AC clamp appears to be working on the Ideal, but reads about half an amp on the Fieldpiece whether I'm measuring the 0.65A load or not. The capacitance function is working on the Fieldpiece. The temperature function (which requires removing leads, switching a rejection feature, and plugging in the thermocouple) is not working. It returns OL when thermocouple is plugged in, and cycles through meaningless temperatures with nothing plugged in, regardless of rejection feature switch (which probably doesn't switch anything else inside).

Googling the terms I can think of just returns a cascade of useless stuff trying to teach novices how to use DVMs.

synchro

Occupation
EE
Do the meters work for continuity and/or ohms measurements?
These meters may not have a user replaceable fuse if they only measure current with the clamp and not with the leads. That doesn't rule out that they could have a very small fuse on a circuit board in series with the leads but not intended to be user serviceable.

MAC702

Both continuity sounders work. Both read about 1 MOhm resistance through my armspan.

Both only measure current through the clamp, and I see no indication of fuses. I've even got the board exposed on the Fieldpiece. Under the battery cover is a switch marked "DO NOT MOVE." It is still in the factory position. There is also a calibration screw for the temp.

With two similar meters in my possession now, I wonder if this is a common thing for the pros to experience, and does this signify EOL? These are both roughly $150 meters. The Ideal still looks brand new and I should have done something about it way back when I noticed it.

MAC702

eBay can help you....

Does that mean EOL and buy another? I've already sourced a replacement Fieldpiece on Amazon, and have already taken my shop Fieldpiece and put it on the truck. These still seem like the best brand for everything I do. Capacitance, amp clamp, and K-type thermocouple plug are things I use daily.

I just want to make sure I'm not missing something obvious that might make these other meters work.

MAC702

It never occurred to me that they'd actually answer the phone and know or care. I already have experienced Fieldpiece customer service with a faulty wireless refrigerant scale. I now buy cheap wired refrigerant scales and use the wireless one for a boat anchor. That's enough to not buy Fieldpiece equipment anymore, but no one else I've seen makes a meter as well suited to what i do every day.

I can also imagine that a tech at the company would be thinking: "Did you first check the Internet to see if this was a common issue with a known solution?"

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I can also imagine that a tech at the company would be thinking: "Did you first check the Internet to see if this was a common issue with a known solution?"
In the dark ages before the internet Encyclopedia Brittanica had a special bonus for home purchasers of a set: you got a number of coupons which could be used to submit a question for direct research by a human for anything not covered in the encyclopedia.
A young chemistry grad student's research project involved a complicated synthesis, and since he had just bought a set for his family he decided to submit it as a question. Two weeks later his advisor told him that when he finished his thesis Brittanica would like a copy for one of their readers.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

MAC702

In the dark ages before the internet Encyclopedia Brittanica had a special bonus for home purchasers of a set: you got a number of coupons which could be used to submit a question for direct research by a human for anything not covered in the encyclopedia.
A young chemistry grad student's research project involved a complicated synthesis, and since he had just bought a set for his family he decided to submit it as a question. Two weeks later his advisor told him that when he finished his thesis Brittanica would like a copy for one of their readers.

With no Like button, I simply must waste a reply just to say that was a great story and a perfect application of the logic. Well done.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Internally at my company we have an "FAQ" site. I am too old to think of that first, but after several admonishments from my phone tech support people, I have finally developed that habit. Almost everything I have needed has been on there in the past year... :slaphead:

Last week one issue I had to deal with was NOT on there, then yesterday ironically someone else had almost the same issue and looked; there it was, already posted on the FAQ site because of my call and the solution we came up with last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.