Two Electrical Services - Code Question

RTC

Occupation
Retired
I live in a house that has a 200amp service coming off a pole to serve the primary home. There is a detached garage 10-12 feet away from the house, that has a separate 200amp service coming off a different pole. We are looking at having a breezeway built that would allow us to walk from the garage to our house, without getting hit with the weather elements. A friend of mine informed me that this could be a liability, as if I connect my garage to my house, it would be considered one structure, thus breaking NEC code for having two services at one residence.
I am struggling to understand the reasoning behind this, and if there is any reasonable option for me to take. It seems I could build a breezeway between the two structures, but leave that breezeway disconnected from one of the sides by 6-12in, and technically I wouldn't be breaking any rules, but if I touch them together, I am then breaking the rules. What is crazy is that I would have never thought twice about this. Building a breezeway wouldn't require any permits where I am located, just simple carpentry would get it done.

RTC

Occupation
Retired
Sorta kinda maybe..... A number of things arent really clear however:
1. Does a breezeway making it one building?
2. IS anyone going to care?

1. That I am not certain, but it seems like I had seen a common definition of one structure being if they are joined by material, or share a roofline (which the breezeway would have a roofline between the two structures).
2. No, there would be no one that really cares at all, I live in out in the country and building codes are certainly not enforced here. I just don't want something to bite me down the road. I just want to understand if this does really break some law/code, and the reason behind it - and if there was a "workaround" that would keep me compliant.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I'm surprised POCO dropped a service to each building. How big is this garage and what does it contain?

retirede

You asked for possible workarounds….

Depending on the existing roof geometry, it may be possible to not attach the breezeway to one of the structures and still achieve your objective.

RTC

Occupation
Retired
I'm surprised POCO dropped a service to each building. How big is this garage and what does it contain?
The electrical Co-Op that services my area does not seem to care - they didn't have any questions/concerns about putting another service to this garage (It's a 30x40), doesn't contain anything special.

RTC

Occupation
Retired
You asked for possible workarounds….

Depending on the existing roof geometry, it may be possible to not attach the breezeway to one of the structures and still achieve your objective.
Thanks for the response. I have considered that, I just wanted to understand "why" is the code wanting this, so I can understand the rules I may be breaking.
Someone had mentioned elsewhere that is was a safety hazard for first responders if they ever had to shutoff power. I don't see how having a few inches off from the breezeway would help this. I could see a scenario where someone has wired stuff from one structure, to another structure, causing easy confusing on where power is supplied. That isn't the case here, as all power in the garage is solely serviced from the garage, and all power in the house is from the house. I guess the only grey area would be the breezeway, as I would probably have a plug or two in there, but that seems rather minor in my mind.

RTC

Occupation
Retired
Exactly, if something like this bothers you in life then how in the world do you manage to get through important things? haha

Anyway, to make you feel better, even with the new walkway, your situation would still be considered 2 separate structures and you'd be code compliant.

see here...
Yeah I know, sometimes the little things can keep me up at night.
That is an interesting article you posted. I don't know how much weight it would hold, as I think the definition would technically be left to interpretation of IRC code potentially, but I'm struggling to find what I'm looking for there.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Purely anecdotal but locally as long as the breezeway doesn't attach to one structure the two services are allowed

RTC

Occupation
Retired
Purely anecdotal but locally as long as the breezeway doesn't attach to one structure the two services are allowed
Thank you. May I ask, what is the potential risk a homeowner is assuming by connecting two structures like this? Obviously it sounds like it is potentially illegal (somehow/someway), but it's not something that is monitored, or something anyone would even care about. Especially where I live, since there are no real building codes enforced.

Thank you. May I ask, what is the potential risk a homeowner is assuming by connecting two structures like this? Obviously it sounds like it is potentially illegal (somehow/someway), but it's not something that is monitored, or something anyone would even care about. Especially where I live, since there are no real building codes enforced.
The NEC generally wants only one supply to a building, but there are exceptions. I assume it is to try and make it clear and simple to disconnect the electricity to a structure. Two services are allowed at times, the main exception is for different voltages or configurations (single phase vs three phase). This would require a placard at each service saying that there are multiple services and where the other service is. You could put two of those up if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy ☺️

PaulMmn

Banned
Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Financially, does each feed have a separate bill from the power company? Does each bill come with a separate "convenience charge?" Would there be an advantage combining the two feeds into one, and losing one of the convenience charges?

RTC

Occupation
Retired
Financially, does each feed have a separate bill from the power company? Does each bill come with a separate "convenience charge?" Would there be an advantage combining the two feeds into one, and losing one of the convenience charges?
Yes, each feed has a separate bill from the power company, it's a separate meter/service. Yeah, there would be a big advantage if I could combine, but it's really not feasible to do. The connection would have to be dug several hundred feet in my front yard, and my residence service would potentially need upgraded from a 200amp, which would be very expensive.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Gus. How would this work on 3 ways and receptacles? What service feed them?
Devices are supplied by the service in their respective buildings.
Three-ways do go between buildings but I know of no violation in doing so.

PaulMmn

Banned
Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Yes, each feed has a separate bill from the power company, it's a separate meter/service. Yeah, there would be a big advantage if I could combine, but it's really not feasible to do. The connection would have to be dug several hundred feet in my front yard, and my residence service would potentially need upgraded from a 200amp, which would be very expensive.
Would feeding from the garage to the house be more economical?? :)