Two Electrical Services - Code Question

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Would you now have one insurance policy to cover the structures with a breezeway? I dont think so..

Footings aren't joined, there's simply a roof between two separate structures

hmspe

Occupation
PE
Where I work the issue would be whether there was a fire separation. An all metal breezeway would not create a single structure. A wooden breezeway would usually be considered to create a single structure.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
The NEC definition of a building is terrible and vauge, but it does mention that firewalls can separate buildings. It could be interpreted, although it doesn't actually say, that the difference between a building and a structure is that a building is enclosed. (Because otherwise what's the difference between a building and a structure?) So since a breezeway provides no enclosed, non-fire separated connection between the house and garage, a (hopefully) compelling argument could be made that the breezeway does not turn the two buildings into one. Perhaps it turns them into one structure but the rule about the number of services happens to apply to buildings.

I agree with everyone else that the AHJ is unlikely to care in the first place.

As for the 'why' regarding number of services, I think electrofelon answered the part about how they want to minimize the number of different supplies to a building to simplify disconnecting power. This makes quite a bit of sense to me; supposing I suddenly identify a dangerous situation (energized exposed wires hanging out in the crawlspace, for example, and yes this has happened to me once) I would prefer not to have any confusion about where to turn them off; find the meter and turn off the main breaker if necessary, without worrying if I've found the *right* main breaker. There are a number of different types of exceptions, and the reason they don't always make sense is that the lines have to be drawn somewhere.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
The NEC definition of a building is terrible and vauge, but it does mention that firewalls can separate buildings. It could be interpreted, although it doesn't actually say, that the difference between a building and a structure is that a building is enclosed.
An unfounded inference, I would say.
(Because otherwise what's the difference between a building and a structure?)
A structure is one or more buildings

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
All buildings are structures but not all structures are buildings..😅
A reasonable definition of building would make that true, but the NEC definitions do not. From Article 100: "Building. A structure that stands alone or that is separated from adjoining structures by fire walls."

So per the NEC, a structure without firewalls is one building. If the structure has firewalls that divide it up, it can be multiple buildings.

Cheers, Wayne

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
A reasonable definition of building would make that true, but the NEC definitions do not. From Article 100: "Building. A structure that stands alone or that is separated from adjoining structures by fire walls."

So per the NEC, a structure without firewalls is one building. If the structure has firewalls that divide it up, it can be multiple buildings.

Cheers, Wayne
Structure: That which is built or constructed.
That could be a tower, concrete dam, memorial wall, etc.

Building: Any structure used or intended for supporting or sheltering any use or occupancy.

So every building is a structure but not every structure is a building..

Think "All thumbs are fingers but not all fingers are thumbs"

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Building: Any structure used or intended for supporting or sheltering any use or occupancy.
That definition is not from the NEC, so the NEC definition I quoted earlier takes precedence when interpreting the NEC.

But I agree it is a more reasonable definition of building, for non-NEC purposes.

Cheers, Wayne