Two Motors Different Voltages Same Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

gv1cl0

Hi All,
Long time user of the forum, first time poster. Let me first start off by thanking all of the posters whose answers I have read for the first 4 years of my career. So, thanks!
That being said I have came across a condition in the field. An electrician has circuited two motors one 120V and one 240V to the same 2P 20A circuit breaker. He has told me it is code compliant. I have drawn in CAD a quick wiring diagram.

Capture.JPG

Is this code compliant? My gut says it is not but I have looked through many sections of the code and cant find anything against it. The closest I have gotten would be that the 1/4HP might not properly be protected by the 20A circuit breaker.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
It does seem odd. But I don't know of any NEC rule that it violates. This is not a multi-wire branch circuit, so those rules are not relevant. The breaker is there to protect the wire, not the motor, so there is no issue there. I think you can let this one stand.

Welcome to (active participation in) the forum.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
@Charlie...I don't see how it is not a MWBC.
I also see it as a MWBC.
My thought was that a MWBC could only supply line-to-neutral loads. But I now see that Exception 2 to 210.4(C) would apply to this specific installation. That article, by the way, provides the evidence the OP was seeking: a rule that says whether the install meets code.

Status
Not open for further replies.