Two services allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have church that has one existing service that is 200A 240/120V single phase. The church is expanding and so now require additional 400A 240/120V single phase service.

As a result I have plans that show second new service 400A 240/120V single phase in opposite corner from the existing 200A 240/120V service.

I cited section 230.2 building can have only one service and was told that the NEC 2014 section 230.2(C)(2) applies here. The local electric company does not have 600A 240/120V service.

Question would NEC 2014 section 230.2(C)(2) even apply in the above case or it is talking about something else? If something else then what?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Sounds pretty clear to me.
POCO (serving agency) doesn’t offer it.

“Where the load requirements of a single-phase installation are greater than the serving agency normally supplies through one service”

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Sounds pretty clear to me.
POCO (serving agency) doesn’t offer it.

“Where the load requirements of a single-phase installation are greater than the serving agency normally supplies through one service”

only thing now left to verify is if POCO does or does not actually offer 600A 240/120V single phase service. Told by designer but has to come from POCO

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
POCO might well want to know the calculated load as opposed to the service size.
I'm sure it varies by company but locally they feed 400-600 amp services with no problem.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
only thing now left to verify is if POCO does or does not actually offer 600A 240/120V single phase service. Told by designer but has to come from POCO
???
In your first post you said,
The local electric company does not have 600A 240/120V service.

Where did that come from??

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Thats coming from the design engineer who created the plans
Oh..
Then IMO the design engineer needs to get you something that proves the POCO doesn’t offer single phase service that large.
FWIW, if we do a single phase service that
large that truly needs 600A it’s coming from a padmount only. 167.5

Pole XF is limited to 400A service. Maybe a calculated 600A service once we apply our diversity factor to it..

Jimmy patrick

Occupation
Electrician
I have church that has one existing service that is 200A 240/120V single phase. The church is expanding and so now require additional 400A 240/120V single phase service.

As a result I have plans that show second new service 400A 240/120V single phase in opposite corner from the existing 200A 240/120V service.

I cited section 230.2 building can have only one service and was told that the NEC 2014 section 230.2(C)(2) applies here. The local electric company does not have 600A 240/120V service.

Question would NEC 2014 section 230.2(C)(2) even apply in the above case or it is talking about something else? If something else then what?

A building or other structure served shall be supplied by only one service unless permitted in 230.2(A) through (D). For the purpose of 230.40, Exception No. 2 only, underground sets of conductors, 1/0 AWG and larger, running to the same location and connected together at their supply end but not connected together at their load end shall be considered to be supplying one service.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
He is referring to 230.2(C)(2) which is a valid reason for allowing more than 1 service based on power company ability to supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.