Two Sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

tryinghard

What?s the best way to get rid of this parallel neutral path, eliminate the bonding jumper at the gen set?

TwoSourcesII.gif

benaround

Well, you can remove that green wire from POCO transformer to first disconnecting means

as the neutral would be the line side ground for the enclosures. Pushing neutral current

thruogh the dirt would yeild not much.

Installing the ATS as the service disco would relieve your concerns.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I agree with Frank that there is no reason for an EGC from the pad mount to the service equipment.

Roger

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Guys, it's early for me, but, since the TS is not a switched neutral, would the neutral-ground bond at the generator also not need to be disconnected ?

iwire

Staff member
Yes and the bond should be at the service disconnect.

Actually I am having a hard time reading this diagram, to many arrows.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Either remove the neutral to ground bond at the generator or use a transfer switch that switches the neutral.
I agree that there is no need for the EGC to be run from the transformer. There needs to be a grounded to grounding bond in the service disconnect per 250.24(C).

tryinghard

You guy?s are helpful! I think the transfer switch should be moved to replace the bus gutter. The problem with this installation is all the stuff ahead of the service disconnects bond. The earth path may be insignificant but soft hands touching a hose bib and earth will conduct some, I?m concerned with touch voltage as well anywhere along the parallel path. What do you think, what?s the best way to fix this?

TwoSourcesIII.gif

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The only time there would be a touch or step potential is under fault conditions and the only way to remove that potential is to clear the fault. Under normal conditions the only voltage that is available to drive a step or touch potential is the voltage drop on the grounded conductor. If that voltage drop is high enough to be a hazard, there is a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.