Two systems tied to the grid back fed on two separate breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indian_Rdr

Occupation
Electrician
Contractor come out and instead of adding panels they just did a second system. I don't see anything in the NEC where this would be a violation, if it is please inform. I am concerned though how it is back fed into the panel. Old system is back fed with 2-pole 40, which is good. 200A main, 225A bus. New system added a 2-pole 20. Am I thinking of this wrong or would that not put the system over the capacity and the main would need to be downsized?

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Contractor come out and instead of adding panels they just did a second system. I don't see anything in the NEC where this would be a violation, if it is please inform. I am concerned though how it is back fed into the panel. Old system is back fed with 2-pole 40, which is good. 200A main, 225A bus. New system added a 2-pole 20. Am I thinking of this wrong or would that not put the system over the capacity and the main would need to be downsized?
(1.2)(225A) - 200A = 70A. As long as the AHJ is OK with two points of interconnection and both breakers are at the opposite end of the bus from the main, you are OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.