Type MC cable for pool feeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

grainger

Can Type Mc cable be used to supply power to a swimming pool. The wire was run inside the house and pvc was run outside. The mc cable was spliced with thwn in an enclosure inside the house.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
grainger said:
Can Type Mc cable be used to supply power to a swimming pool. The wire was run inside the house and pvc was run outside. The mc cable was spliced with thwn in an enclosure inside the house.

Does the MC have an insulated EGC? 680.25(B)

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The inspector is correct.

680.25(A) Wiring Methods Feeders shall be installed in rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, liquidtight flexible nonmetallic conduit, or rigid nonmetallic conduit. Electrical metallic tubing shall be permitted where installed on or within a building, and electrical nonmetallic tubing shall be permitted where installed within a building.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Curt,
I don't see this circuit as a feeder. It is a branch circuit and assuming this is a single family dwelling unit, 680.21(A)(4) applies and permits MC inside of the dwelling unit.

Jim W in Tampa

I would have run it to a small disconect outside then pvc to the pool ,that way its a sub panel.Tell him to give you a number he can back up or sign it off.I think your fine and did more than most.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with the others, inspector is incorrect. You could have used NM cable within the house if this is a one family dwelling. Look at 680.21(A)(4).

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My answer was based on the subject line. If this was a branch circuit feeding a pump and not a feeder I agree with the others that the inspector is incorrect.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
curt swartz said:
My answer was based on the subject line. If this was a branch circuit feeding a pump and not a feeder I agree with the others that the inspector is incorrect.

I missed the part about the feeder.

electricmanscott

Jim W in Tampa said:
I would have run it to a small disconect outside then pvc to the pool ,that way its a sub panel.Tell him to give you a number he can back up or sign it off.I think your fine and did more than most.

Ok here is your article for YOUR violation and the op's violation...680.25 (A)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
electricmanscott said:
Ok here is your article for YOUR violation and the op's violation...680.25 (A)

Scott you are still assuming this is a feeder. 680.25 is about feeders. This, IMO, is a branch circuit to the pool pump.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
mpd said:
dennis

the OP says it is a pool feeder

Here is what the op says

That could mean the swimming pool motor.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
mpd said:
dennis

look at the OP's title

I missed that but many ec calls wire to a pool pump a feeder since it does feed the pump. I would want clarification from the OP who seems to be gone.:grin:

electricmanscott

OP says feeder so I answered for feeder. What's the problem??? :-? Can only go by the info given.

This is how so many topics go off track. Everybody starts assuming somthing that is not there and answers for what they think the question is about.

This may very well be a mistake by the op but until that is run by us by the person that asked the question I would just rather answer the question asked.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.