Type NM Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

codequestion

Banned
Are type Nonmetallic Sheathed Cable NM cable with THWN coating be used on type IIB building firefighter dormitory one story building per NEC 2014?

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Are type Nonmetallic Sheathed Cable NM cable with THWN coating be used on type IIB building firefighter dormitory one story building per NEC 2014?

"THWN coating". . . that's a new one on me. Do you have a link, possibly?

codequestion

Banned
Look at 334.10(3).

Ignore part THWN coating found on drawings not sure what is that about.

Going back, NEC 2014, Article 334.10(3) says permitted types III, IV and V. However I am confused with scenario in my original poster in mind 334.10(5) says types I and II is ok as well?

Last edited:

jumper

NEC 2014, Article 334.10(3) says permitted types III, IV and V. However I am confused with scenario in my original poster in mind 334.10(5) says types I and II is ok as well?

Yeah, if you want to install conduit and then pull cable. Kinda defeats the whole purpose of using cable. The raceway/conduit has to be a type permitted for the type construction also.

(5) Types I and II construction where installed within raceways permitted to be installed in Types I and II construction.

codequestion

Banned
Yeah, if you want to install conduit and then pull cable. Kinda defeats the whole purpose of using cable. The raceway/conduit has to be a type permitted for the type construction also.

(5) Types I and II construction where installed within raceways permitted to be installed in Types I and II construction.

Exactly what kind of raceways would be permitted with NM cables for Construction Types I and II? Also, does the article still apply if it has type II and then B at end same as type II?

Last edited:

al hildenbrand

Occupation
No, no link allowed. All we need to know is that NM-B has 90C conductors. No one ever should know what is really inside. Like the recipe for Coca Cola...it’s a secret....:D

This is how conspiracy theories begin. . .

jumper

Exactly what kind of raceways would be permitted with NM cables Types I and II? Also, does the article still apply if it has type II and then B at end same as type II?

Annex E has the types of construction.

Types I and II have the longest fire ratings.

I am not well versed on all these types and if unsure, ask the inspector or boss.

Off the top of my head I would say for IIB, one story, RMC, IMC, EMT, FMC, AC, MC, possibly PVC in non assembly areas, prolly more IDK.

The B in IIB does not change 334.10.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
I think it began with something about GFCIs inside PVC boxes being buried in backyards somewhere in Tennessee...:angel:

[LAUGHING]Ahh. Thank you. With this morning's coffee, you've provided me a truly enjoyable laugh.[/LAUGHING]

Status
Not open for further replies.