Type NM in EMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If I recall the engineer at southwire stated , unofficially, that the wire is generally thwn or something similar. My point is the wire would have to be NEC approved and it may be so approved by being a part of the nm cable. IDK

I am sure they are not going to make a non-compliant insulation just for nm cable.

If I recall the engineer at southwire stated , unofficially, that the wire is generally thwn or something similar. My point is the wire would have to be NEC approved and it may be so approved by being a part of the nm cable. IDK

I am sure they are not going to make a non-compliant insulation just for nm cable.
Yeah IIRC the standard uses words like "similar to THHN" or "having the same properties". It's been a while since I read that, and I don't remember how I got access to it. I wish they would just define it asTHHN and be done with it, I would save this discussion from coming up every month or so 🤠

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I wish they would just define it as THHN and be done with it, I would save this discussion from coming up every month or so 🤠
I agree. This is such a silly argument that the wire without a surface marking is fine in a cable but now completely unsafe in a raceway. :rolleyes:

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
From UL 719, Section 4.4.1 in part: ". . . the insulation employed on the circuit conductors shall comply with (a) or (b) . . ."

Cheers, Wayne

insulation.JPG

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I agree. This is such a silly argument that the wire without a surface marking is fine in a cable but now completely unsafe in a raceway. :rolleyes:
My thinking exactly. Just thinking about the LOGIC in this - if you install NM into a load-center the sheathe is stubbed into the panel and then stripped off. At that point there are no markings on the internal wires. Yes, you can look up and see that the wires are part of a sheathed cable but by the same token, if you just sleeve an NM cable into a length of EMT using a "from-to" connector like the one in post # 17 can't you also look up and see that the wires are part of a sheathed cable ? Did the wires change characteristics inside the EMT ?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
My thinking exactly. Just thinking about the LOGIC in this - if you install NM into a load-center the sheathe is stubbed into the panel and then stripped off. At that point there are no markings on the internal wires. Yes, you can look up and see that the wires are part of a sheathed cable but by the same token, if you just sleeve an NM cable into a length of EMT using a "from-to" connector like the one in post # 17 can't you also look up and see that the wires are part of a sheathed cable ? Did the wires change characteristics inside the EMT ?

The problem could be that the conduit is installed in the wall-- sure the authority having jurisdiction should see it at rough in but.....

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I Will usually have one of these couplers on the EMT where the NM is going into the EMT not a bushing.
View attachment 2558681
Another note is that the NM sheathing is not to be stripped as it runs through the conduit. (Just thought I'd point it out as other posts had asked can this be done.)
Many moons ago, I was re-wiring an old building being converted into apartments, and supplied the roof-top AC units with NMC run through FNMC stubbed up through pitch pockets.

I asked the inspector for his opinion before deciding what to do. He was okay with the NM continuing through to the roof units as long as I did strip it once it entered the FNMC.

I used PVC female adapters and 2-screw cable clamps to make the transition, effectively making the same adapter as in your picture, and left about 1" of sheath through the clamp.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would add that the transition fitting is not required, a bushing on the end of the EMT would be code compliant.
If the other end entered a box, the cable would be left un-secured. I imagine securing it within 1' would suffice.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
That's the connector that most EI's in my area will accept. Is there a Code section that doesn't allow you to strip the sheathing off the NM cable ? What happens if you have one cable in and one cable out to another receptacle ?
312.5(C)(5) The cable sheath is continuous through the raceway and extends into the enclosure beyond the fitting not less than 1/4 in.
This thus prohibits the stripping of the NM sheath within a conduit raceway per the exception in 312.5(C).
NM use within a conduit must meet all the conditions of the exception of that section.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
312.5(C)(5) The cable sheath is continuous through the raceway and extends into the enclosure beyond the fitting not less than 1/4 in.
This thus prohibits the stripping of the NM sheath within a conduit raceway per the exception in 312.5(C).
NM use within a conduit must meet all the conditions of the exception of that section.
Actually, there's nothing in Article 312 I see that requires an NM cable sheath to in general extend into a cabinet, e.g. a panelboard enclosure. The requirements in 312.5(C) exception are only necessary if you want to skip securing the NM cable to a cabinet.

314.17 covers the requirements for securing cables to a junction or outlet box, and that does require the NM sheath to extend into the box.

Cheers, Wayne

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Actually, there's nothing in Article 312 I see that requires an NM cable sheath to in general extend into a cabinet, e.g. a panelboard enclosure. The requirements in 312.5(C) exception are only necessary if you want to skip securing the NM cable to a cabinet.

314.17 covers the requirements for securing cables to a junction or outlet box, and that does require the NM sheath to extend into the box.

Cheers, Wayne

You are too precise Wayne. Why would it be required for jb's but not a cabinet?

Besides aren't we talking about the nm in a sleeve or in conduit? If so, then 312.5(C) would apply, IMO... also

334.15(C) In Unfinished Basements and Crawl Spaces. Where cable
is run at angles with joists in unfinished basements and crawl
spaces, it shall be permissible to secure cables not smaller than
two 6 AWG or three 8 AWG conductors directly to the lower
edges of the joists. Smaller cables shall be run either through
bored holes in joists or on running boards. Nonmetallicsheathed
cable installed on the wall of an unfinished basement
shall be permitted to be installed in a listed conduit or tubing
or shall be protected in accordance with 300.4. Conduit or
tubing shall be provided with a suitable insulating bushing or
adapter at the point the cable enters the raceway. The sheath of
the nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall extend through the
conduit or tubing and into the outlet or device box not less
than 6 mm (1∕4 in.).
The cable shall be secured within 300 mm
(12 in.) of the point where the cable enters the conduit or
tubing. Metal conduit, tubing, and metal outlet boxes shall be
connected to an equipment grounding conductor complying
with the provisions of 250.86 and 250.148.

Last edited:

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
You are too precise Wayne. Why would it be required for jb's but not a cabinet?
Good question, ask the writers of Article 312.

Besides aren't we talking about the nm in a sleeve or in conduit? If so, then 312.5(C) would apply, IMO... also
Yes, 312.5(C) applies, so the cable needs to be secured to the cabinet. But if you use one of those metal NM clamp connectors with the clamp on the outside, the sheath could end between the clamp and the actual cabinet, so you wouldn't have any sheath in the cabinet. That's something I've observed and thought was a violation, but apparently only under Article 314, not Article 312.

As to the "also," I take that to apply to the preceding sentence concerning the "wall of an unfinished basement." It's not actually describing anything that isn't already allowed by 314.17 plus 300.15(C), I think.

Cheers, Wayne

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Good question, ask the writers of Article 312.

Yes, 312.5(C) applies, so the cable needs to be secured to the cabinet. But if you use one of those metal NM clamp connectors with the clamp on the outside, the sheath could end between the clamp and the actual cabinet, so you wouldn't have any sheath in the cabinet. That's something I've observed and thought was a violation, but apparently only under Article 314, not Article 312.

As to the "also," I take that to apply to the preceding sentence concerning the "wall of an unfinished basement." It's not actually describing anything that isn't already allowed by 314.17 plus 300.15(C), I think.

Cheers, Wayne
The raceway and the cabinet or enclosure are 2 separate entities. 312.5 allows NM to be run through a conduit (a type of raceway), and also indicates the sheathing must enter into the enclosure by at least a 1/4 inch. Raceway (conduit) is not an enclosure so sheathing cannot end inside the raceway.
Every reference that indicates NM entering a box, cabinet or enclosure all reference the sheathing must enter by at least 1/4inch into the enclosure, whether its entering via a raceway or directly by a connector.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I thing Wayne is saying if you use an nm connector in a panel box then you don't have to have 1/4" sheathing in the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.