Type SER cabe Multi family

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthco

I had planned on using Type SER cable for my apartment panel feeders in a multi-family project. The individual unit panels are fed from a meter lineup that contains a main disconnect before each apartment meter and feeder. I'm being told by the local township code official that I have to use MC cable for the feeders. I've looked but I don't see anything in the NEC which states I can't use SER. Does anyone know of any code restriction on SER for multi-family feeders. Thanks for your help.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: Type SER cabe Multi family

1. did you check uses permitted and not permitted in Article 338
2. Local codes and ordinances may not allow this, for example in Washington State its not allowed.

txsparky

Whether or not is allowed depends on the type of construction. It is permitted in Types III, IV, and V construction. See annex E for determination of construction types.
Your local township may have amended the NEC and does not allow SER at all in multi-family dwellings.

anthco

Thanks for the responses. I've checked Art. 338 and could find no restriction for this use, there are no local codes or ordinances according to another reviewer in the township and it the building is Type V construction. The reviewer returns from a seminar this Friday I will call him and ask for his reasoning. Just trying to do some homework beforehand. Thanks again.

pierre

Which year NEC is your jurisdiction referencing?
Then what type building structure are you working with? How many stories tall is the building. Are you positive that there are no local codes about this type of installation?
I myself am curious what the inspector tells you, keep us informed.

Pierre

anthco

They are referencing the 2002 NEC, the building is a wood frame, four story building and I was told by another reviewer there are no local codes, only NEC. I will keep you posted as to the reasoning of the reviewer. Thanks again.

anthco

Here's an update. The contractor had a discussion with the inspector and the inspector stated that this was not code and he would allow the installation of Type SER but he would be watching closely and if he found any tear at all in the feeder insulation he would make the contractor remove the whole length. Again, thanks for your help.

jimwalker

You won the battle but will you win the war.
Sounds like the inspector has egg on his face and now intends to ride your butt.Your right but he might make you wish otherwise.I see nother wrong in what you planned to do.I assume that was how you bid the job and you must stand up for this.
On little things i usually just go along with them to keep good relationship.
Keep us posted as to how the rest of the job goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.