typical HO request.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

I get a call,I'm getting a hot tub delivered Wednesday, could you come out this weekend and put in the wiring for it? I ask, do you have the specs for the tub and know where it is going? Reply, the salesman handed me a "big grey box" and said your electrician will know what to do. I proceed with what size and brand service panel do you have, reply don't know. Does the madness ever end????

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Giving a price for something like this over the phone is a good way to lose money on a job. Wait until the thing is sitting there, drive over to the job site, give price. There are too many variables to take a shot in the dark.

satcom

nizak said:
I get a call,I'm getting a hot tub delivered Wednesday, could you come out this weekend and put in the wiring for it? I ask, do you have the specs for the tub and know where it is going? Reply, the salesman handed me a "big grey box" and said your electrician will know what to do. I proceed with what size and brand service panel do you have, reply don't know. Does the madness ever end????

We had one a few years ago where we thought we covered everything, and day of inspection we failed the tub was not a listed tub, build by some guy in his garage and sold over the internet, when we called the company to get listing information, they said it was to expensive to get them listed. AHJ wanted nothington to do with it, owner went to mayor, his attorney, and the answer was nothing they could doo. he ended up trying to send it back, so check the listing on these monsters before agreeing on an installation.

The customer order another tub from a company with TV ads, turned out that tub was not listed, and the AJH told him no go, owner went out of his mind.

Last edited:

480sparky

"I would be happy to come out and take a look at it. My normal fee for doing this is $____. If you decide we do the work, we will deduct that fee from the price of doing the work."

This is the same as calling up an auto dealer and asking "How much is a car?"

ultramegabob

Its rare that I will scedule work on a weekend or after normal business hours unless it is a commercial or industrial project, and like 480sparky said, charge them for a consult, then deduct from the price when you get the job... If you do get the job, I would scedule running the circuit and setting the disconnect before the tub is deliverd, allow enough in the quote for a second trip to run the flex into the tub and do your final connections, you could even do that on a weekend if you felt like it, and not burn up an entire day....

Last edited:

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
Yea people think "you just hook it up" like cable TV...... How about...." $500!!! but its just one light???" ...... Yea with no holes in the wall and no outlet for power nearby.

jack cay

one of my favorite subjects.... i can't tell you how many times people have called me with. "the guy at the fair said that the hookup is a snap". i do agree with "my fee to come out and give you an estimate is$__." . many people do not understand the problems with undersized service or the panel is on the other side of the house....

Minuteman

Yeah, typical. We get it all the time since we made friends with a hot tub store. Here is what I do:

Flat rate for the install is $XXX.xx + $X.xx per foot to install the tub company's disconnect. (PM me for current rate). The flat price is just for a disco that can be mounted on the house and the circuit ran in the attic to a modern panel with empty space. All others, are bid accordingly.

Also, the "whip" from the disco to the tub can be connected by either us or the tub guys (and since we know them, I have no problems with them making the connection). If the tub is there when we install the circuit and disc, we make the connection. If they are going to deliver it at a later time, they can connect it, since they come out anyway and charge for a "set up" where they fill the tub and set up the chemicals.

And, we get paid from the customer, not the tub people.

wawireguy

I didn't hear you metion the customer worrying about money.. so.. get the brand and model. Call the manufacturer, get the electrical specs. Show up with material for any kind of job. Over charge the hell outa them.

Rewire

nizak said:
I get a call,I'm getting a hot tub delivered Wednesday, could you come out this weekend and put in the wiring for it?
answer:Why yes I can
I ask, do you have the specs for the tub and know where it is going? Reply, the salesman handed me a "big grey box" and said your electrician will know what to do.
answer;were did you purchase the tub and who was the salesman?
then you say our hourly rate for Saturday is XX.XX plus any material.

Status
Not open for further replies.