U Pull

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

I am reading 314.28 trying to hone in on pull I'd sizing and thy refer to U pulls. What's is that exactly? I understand the what is happening but why would conductors come into the box in one pipe and then turn around in that box and return in another pipe on the same wall of the pull box? That's a U pull(U turn...correct :)) correct?

jumper

Yes, that is a U-pull. Here is an image of various pulls in 314.28.

810ecmCBfig1.jpg

from this article: http://ecmweb.com/code-basics/sizing-junction-boxes

I have never needed one, so I am at a loss to say why; however, somebody did and it had to be covered.

kwired

Electron manager
Seems unusual, but like jumper said, it happens a lot with underground installations, and could happen on occasion eleswhere.

Maybe a raceway enters an enclosure, some conductors in the raceway run straight or angle, while others make a U turn in the enclosure. Probably does happen quite often with smaller conductor sizes where box dimensions don't necessarily apply.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have seen this done a couple times that I can think of. It was done with a piece of wire way rather than a box though, to route wires out of one box and into another.

Why this made more sense than just running a piece of conduit between the two boxes is something else.

Maybe they just used what was laying around.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I have seen this done a couple times that I can think of. It was done with a piece of wire way rather than a box though, to route wires out of one box and into another.

Why this made more sense than just running a piece of conduit between the two boxes is something else.

Maybe they just used what was laying around.

it's a pain in the butt to pull with large feeders....
only once in a refinery, did it work out... it was a 4'x4'x1' deep box with parallell 4",
and we used a large wheel, drilled a hole in the back of the box the size of the axle,
and made a straight leg of two pieces of strut, and put the wheel inside the box...
pulled it right around, with a lot of soap.

usually it's a hypress and tape deal. fixure 8'ing a bunch of cable and having the length
come out right at the end isn't much fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.