ufer ground question

Status
Not open for further replies.

POWER_PIG

Hi all!
Always enjoy this forum, and respect your opinions.
My question is concerning the ufer/footer ground. I have always been taught that this conductor has to be the same size as the main service grounding electrode conductor, and that has always made sense to me.
I am sitting here reading 250.66 (b) IM pretty darn sure it's saying that part of the conductor is only required to be a 4awg. Am I missing something here?

ps: sorry to admin if I have posted the question in the wrong place.

bphgravity

No, you are correct. #4 AWG is maximum size GEC to a concrete-encased electrode required by the NEC. This is the size of the conductor used in the tests and research performed by Mr. Ufer and as submitted to the NEC.

George Stolz

Staff member
Abe, I'm not sure what you mean. Rebar is not always necessary to have a CEE.

Pig, I agree with Bryan, #4 is the maximum required.

sparky_magoo

abe72487 said:
Just be sure that the GEC is attached to be a 20 foot rebar.
I thought the rule was ten feet. I just advised a guy to attach for ten feet.

Can you give me the code reference? I want to be sure before I tell the boss I messed up.

infinity

Staff member
chris kennedy said:
250.52(A)(3) Thats a 20' number 5 or larger rebar in the bottom layer of the footer or grade beam.(IMO)
That should read #4 or larger. Rebar is numbered according to eighths of an inch. #4 rebar is 4/8" or 1/2", which is the minimum permitted.

chris kennedy

infinity said:
That should read #4 or larger. Rebar is numbered according to eighths of an inch. #4 rebar is 4/8" or 1/2", which is the minimum permitted.
4, 5 whatever it takes.:grin:

Thanks Trevor

POWER_PIG

Thanks to all who responded! This forum is a wealth of info and I appreciate the time ya'll take to answer. I have been in the electrical idustry for 25 years and still learn something new most everyday!:grin:

RUWired

To futher elaborate on this subject,if the service conductors only require a # 8 awg G.E.C., that is all that is needed to the C.E.E.
Rick

infinity

Staff member
RUWired said:
To futher elaborate on this subject,if the service conductors only require a # 8 awg G.E.C., that is all that is needed to the C.E.E.
Rick

That's true, but if you choose to use a 20' bare conductor as the CEE it would need to be #4 with the #8 GEC connected to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.