ufer ground question

Status
Not open for further replies.

POWER_PIG

Hi all!
Always enjoy this forum, and respect your opinions.
My question is concerning the ufer/footer ground. I have always been taught that this conductor has to be the same size as the main service grounding electrode conductor, and that has always made sense to me.
I am sitting here reading 250.66 (b) IM pretty darn sure it's saying that part of the conductor is only required to be a 4awg. Am I missing something here?

ps: sorry to admin if I have posted the question in the wrong place.

bphgravity

No, you are correct. #4 AWG is maximum size GEC to a concrete-encased electrode required by the NEC. This is the size of the conductor used in the tests and research performed by Mr. Ufer and as submitted to the NEC.

sparky_magoo

abe72487 said:
Just be sure that the GEC is attached to be a 20 foot rebar.

I thought the rule was ten feet. I just advised a guy to attach for ten feet.

Can you give me the code reference? I want to be sure before I tell the boss I messed up.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
abe72487 said:
Just be sure that the GEC is attached to be a 20 foot rebar.
250.52(A)(3) Thats a 20' number 5 or larger rebar in the bottom layer of the footer or grade beam.(IMO)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
chris kennedy said:
250.52(A)(3) Thats a 20' number 5 or larger rebar in the bottom layer of the footer or grade beam.(IMO)

That should read #4 or larger. Rebar is numbered according to eighths of an inch. #4 rebar is 4/8" or 1/2", which is the minimum permitted.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
infinity said:
That should read #4 or larger. Rebar is numbered according to eighths of an inch. #4 rebar is 4/8" or 1/2", which is the minimum permitted.

4, 5 whatever it takes.:grin:

Thanks Trevor

POWER_PIG

Thanks to all who responded! This forum is a wealth of info and I appreciate the time ya'll take to answer. I have been in the electrical idustry for 25 years and still learn something new most everyday!:grin:

RUWired

To futher elaborate on this subject,if the service conductors only require a # 8 awg G.E.C., that is all that is needed to the C.E.E.
Rick

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
RUWired said:
To futher elaborate on this subject,if the service conductors only require a # 8 awg G.E.C., that is all that is needed to the C.E.E.
Rick

That's true, but if you choose to use a 20' bare conductor as the CEE it would need to be #4 with the #8 GEC connected to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.