ufer grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

rl builders

New User
Occupation
Electrician/Builder
I'm new to ufer grounding but it seems most municipalities want this instead of grounding rods. Someone told me that if i do a ufer ground, I can't use the green screw to bond my breaker panel with an overhead service? I am doing this service this week and need a bit of coaching. Thanks

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The rules for when to install the bonding screw in the panel are unrelated to what type of equipment grounding system is in use. In other words, if you would bond when using a ground rod, then also bond when using as ufer.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Unless like you like ground rods, use a Ufer or CCE. With a CEE ground rods are not needed, but if you install them, you must bond them to create the grounding electrode system. In my area, if you have a qualifying CEE it must be used. I suggest you read over the rules in 250.52 A 3. A CEE is a far superior ground than ground rods. Just get your connection inspected.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I'm new to ufer grounding but it seems most municipalities want this instead of grounding rods. Someone told me that if i do a ufer ground, I can't use the green screw to bond my breaker panel with an overhead service? I am doing this service this week and need a bit of coaching. Thanks
I think it would behoove you to spend some time in a code book and don't listen to someone telling you xxxxxxx.

Roger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
CEE's are required if there is 20' or more of 1/2" or larger rebar in the footing. So unless there is a local code they must be used. Regarding the green screw that's just nonsense, what would an overhead service have to do with the MBJ versus an underground service?

Julius Right

Occupation
Electrical Engineer Power Station Physical Design Retired
According to NEC[2017] 250.52 Grounding Electrodes.(A) Electrodes Permitted for Grounding (3) Concrete-Encased Electrode. if the Ufer grounding includes at least one rebar of 1/2" diameter and 6 m long and the other rebars are connected with this main rebar you may use it as a grounding electrode. The concrete has to be in direct contact with the earth [no water sealing layer].

In my opinion, it cannot be achieve after the concrete is poured.

The problem is it is hard to design an Ufer grounding for a certain resistance and calculate the short-circuit current and GPR, touch and step potentials-as per IEEE 80-or grounding path thermal stability.

Status
Not open for further replies.