Ufer on gravel bed - proper grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

car-son

New User
Occupation
Civil engineer
Hi. I'm new to the site. I need some help on a new build sfh electrical system.

We put in an Ufer as required by code. The foundation footings were placed on min 18" compacted select fill (i.e. granite gravel trucked in from the quarry), the rebar was #4 in the footing, and the same in the stem wall. There was at least 20 ft of footing rebar sitting on the gravel when footing was poured. The rebar ground rod appeared bonded properly and extended out the top of the stem wall with the electrical panel bonded to the rebar Ufer. Everything passed inspection.

The problem is after the home was completed, the grounding system may not be working as intended. We have been getting extra amperage on cable ground line, and circuits have worked then not worked, or appliances have run hot and burnt out.

As a first step, I want to put in two 10ft rods and bond to the ground node of the Ufer, but I'm not sure this is the right course to take, and I'm wondering if I should disconnect the Ufer completely and just rely on the two new grounds as the Ufer may be not on a true native soil ground, thus inadequate.

Any comments would be welcome. Thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This site is designed for:
  • Electrical Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
This NEC® Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

Knowledge and the practical application of the National Electrical Code is an essential part of all electrical installations. If it's important for you to understand the National Electrical Code, then look no further.

To better help us serve you, please be sure to update your account details with your occupation field and location if you have not done so already. You can access your account details by clicking on your account name at the top right of the page when on the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.