UL 1363 - relocatable power tap (RPT) mounting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StaySafe

Could someone with access to UL 1363: RPTs please verify that the "no-tool" dismounting text is still in there for me? My UL 1363 is from 2001, so a bit outdated and I can't justify $800+ for the new standard to verify a single sentence. Not healthcare occupancy. Not equipment mounted. Just run of the mill RPTs in general use.

Here is what the 2001 edition says:
3.1 MEANS FOR TEMPORARY MOUNTING – A mounting method that does not require the use of
tools for mounting or dismounting the relocatable power tap and conceals the head of a screw or other
fastener so that it cannot be tightened after the relocatable power tap is mounted.

7 Temporary Mounting Means
7.1 A RPT may be provided with a means for temporary mounting. A tool shall not be required to
dismount a RPT.

There are a few more mentions of mounting means in UL 1363, but those are the best.

On that same note, what's your opinion of using releasable zip ties to mount them? They have a small lever that releases it, so no tool required. I don't see that you are required to use the slots in the back of the RPT to mount, just no tools.

Appreciate it.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Could someone with access to UL 1363: RPTs please verify that the "no-tool" dismounting text is still in there for me? My UL 1363 is from 2001, so a bit outdated and I can't justify $800+ for the new standard to verify a single sentence. Not healthcare occupancy. Not equipment mounted. Just run of the mill RPTs in general use.

Here is what the 2001 edition says:
3.1 MEANS FOR TEMPORARY MOUNTING – A mounting method that does not require the use of
tools for mounting or dismounting the relocatable power tap and conceals the head of a screw or other
fastener so that it cannot be tightened after the relocatable power tap is mounted.

7 Temporary Mounting Means
7.1 A RPT may be provided with a means for temporary mounting. A tool shall not be required to
dismount a RPT.

There are a few more mentions of mounting means in UL 1363, but those are the best.

On that same note, what's your opinion of using releasable zip ties to mount them? They have a small lever that releases it, so no tool required. I don't see that you are required to use the slots in the back of the RPT to mount, just no tools.

Appreciate it.

A zip tie does not qualify given the definition in 3.1 you cited.

Also, unless the zip tie came with the RPT, it would not meet 7.1.

StaySafe

A zip tie does not qualify given the definition in 3.1 you cited.

Also, unless the zip tie came with the RPT, it would not meet 7.1.

Thanks, Bob.

Agreed. Also, another section supports your view:
Exception: A temporary mounting means that does not comply with the above requirement is capable of​
being used when investigated for the purpose.

7.4 When a temporary mounting means is provided, installation instructions shall be furnished with the​
product. When the mounting means requires special hardware, to comply with the requirements in the​
Adequacy of Mounting Test, Section 33, or 7.1 – 7.3, the hardware shall be provided with the product.​

That indicates to me that if zip-ties were ever acceptable, there would also be ziptie "belt loops" on the RPT.
I'm trying to find a (compliant) reasonable fix for an area that has RPTs zip-tied to everything they can (not to mention other issues). It doesn't sound like I will make friends with this electrical clean-up project either. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.