UL 3741 Metal Roof

BackCountry

Electrician
Occupation
Licensed Electrician and General Contractor
I’ve got a 600kw project in the design phase, the roof is a 1 degree slope flat roof with a standing seam material that has 2” high seams every 40” on center.

I would really like to avoid rapid shutdown; however, all of the UL 3741 solutions out there are only for TPO and built up roofs (PanelClaw, Unirac, IronRidge, Sollega). PanelClaw would likely work since the seams are north south and the east west rails clear the 2” seam; however, they say it’s incompatible.

We were looking at MetalX railless; but that isn’t UL 3741 either.

I’d do just about anything to avoid 1200 rapid shutdown MLPE’s on this job.

Anyone know of a compatible product?

pv_n00b

There are only a few 3741 listed systems and none for metal roofs. Since it would require getting a listing specifically for a metal roof and there is much less demand I doubt that we will see one any time soon. Better plan for a regular RSD system.

BackCountry

Electrician
Occupation
There are only a few 3741 listed systems and none for metal roofs. Since it would require getting a listing specifically for a metal roof and there is much less demand I doubt that we will see one any time soon. Better plan for a regular RSD system.

I agree. I was hoping there was some rail product out there that would be listed but none so far.

Our EE is going to try to justify it and field list it, complying with all rules (ie inverter within 1ft etc).

BackCountry

Electrician
Occupation
Re-pinging this thread, have you found any UL3741 solutions for flush or metal roofs?

Only ballast and flat roofs.

We did manage to permit one with a metal roof using Unirac MetalX and the AHJ bought off on it, we called it out as “meets the intent of UL3741”

Backwoods

New User
Occupation
GC, Electrician, Solar and Electrical Contractor
Unirac has been quietly working on getting their NXT flushmount racking 3741 approval. They had expected UL's blessing in Q1 but it now looks like it may be Q2. UL3741 requires racking to be matched with an approved inverter, so hopefully NXT's listing will include a similar lineup of inverters as their existing UL3741 ballasted options.

BackCountry

Electrician
Occupation
Unirac has been quietly working on getting their NXT flushmount racking 3741 approval. They had expected UL's blessing in Q1 but it now looks like it may be Q2. UL3741 requires racking to be matched with an approved inverter, so hopefully NXT's listing will include a similar lineup of inverters as their existing UL3741 ballasted options.

Great news