UL 498 & backstab receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

tallguy

Does anyone have access to UL 498 and info on the backstab specifications and testing procedures? If so, is there anything from that document (or any others from UL) that can shed some light on the great "backstab" vs. "non-backstab" debates?

I realize this is a rather vague question, just trying to drum up some info on this issue since it's an "oldie but goodie" on the forum here and it never seems to get any light from the UL perspective...

tallguy

Thanks Charlie... that gives us something to sink our teeth into:
Single and duplex receptacles rated 15 and 20 A that are provided with more than one set of terminals for the connection of line and neutral conductors have not been investigated to feed branch-circuit conductors connected to other outlets on a multi-outlet branch circuit, as follows:
  • Side wire (binding screw) terminal with its associated back wire (screw actuated clamp type) terminal
  • Multiple conductors under a single binding screw
  • Multiple conductors in a single back wire hole
That leads me to infer that there is nothing to prohibit using the backstab and sidewire at the same time. Wouldn't do it myself, but appears that it is legit.

This has been stated a number of times in various threads as an "it appears that they don't make the #12/14 combos any more", but I don't believe anyone had substantiated it with UL documentation previously:
Screwless terminal connectors of the conductor push-in type (also known as "push-in-terminals") are restricted to 15 A branch circuits and are for connection with 14 AWG solid copper wire only. They are not intended for use with aluminum or copper-clad aluminum wire, 14 AWG stranded copper wire, or 12 AWG solid or stranded copper wire.
Anyone know/have documentation of when exactly this changed?

I guess there is one more I'm really curious about -- there must be something in UL 498 that states that a 15A receptacle must withstand a 20A load, otherwise NEC could not arbitrarily allow a 15A recep on a 20A circuit. I'd just like to see the actual wording... no idea why I am fixated on this.:smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.