UL change to GFCI's green LED status light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electroplaxes

Had to order some devices today. The job specs call out for all "GFCIs to have (green) LED status indicators". I called around to the supply houses to get some and they all only have red. So I sent out some emails to find out why no one is carrying them anymore. I got an email from a Hubbell rep saying that it's do to 2014/2015 UL changes that no longer allow green indicators. Does any one know why they did this and where I might find some literature on these changes?

renosteinke

I had not heard this before.

Some GFCI light up when they're ready to use; others light up when tripped. Personally, I would like them to show 'green' when the light meant everything was fine, and red or yellow when there was a trip.

I would suggest that you write UL, and share their reply with us. I'd love to hear their explanation.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I had not heard this before.

Some GFCI light up when they're ready to use; others light up when tripped. Personally, I would like them to show 'green' when the light meant everything was fine, and red or yellow when there was a trip.

I would suggest that you write UL, and share their reply with us. I'd love to hear their explanation.

SWAG: People tend, as you do, to associate green with an indication that everything is working, not just that it has power.
But there is no continuously running test for a GFCI receptacle, the test only happens only when you press the test button. So any "green" indication would be flat out misleading or else out of date.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I did an insection the other day and notices the GFCI receptacles had indicator lights but they were not "on" when the device was allowing power, nor did they come "on" when tripped.
The E/C found the instruction sheet and it advised the light illuminates when there is a problem with the GFCI.
So now on a given job I may have GFCIs with lamps illuminated when on, when tripped, or when "faulty" but not tripped. Go figure :D

Status
Not open for further replies.