UL listing and 110.3B

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
Does UL listing and UL recognition both satisfy NEC 110.3(B) requirements?
We have a massive amount of cable that is UL recognized and CSA listed. But not UL listed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
What product standard did CSA list the cable to? If is is a US product standard there is no issue.
Also nothing in 110.3(B) requires a product to be listed. Is the cable of a type that the NEC requires it to be listed.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
What product standard did CSA list the cable to? If is is a US product standard there is no issue.
Also nothing in 110.3(B) requires a product to be listed. Is the cable of a type that the NEC requires it to be listed.

It states:
“UL Recognized AWM style 21179”.
Also says
“RoHS and CE APPROVAL”

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Our inspector is saying it must be UL LISTED to meet NEC

That is appliance wiring material, and I don't think it is suitable for any NEC application. It is UL recognized because it is intended to be used in the assembly of a listed appliance.

What is the application you want to use this for?

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
That is appliance wiring material, and I don't think it is suitable for any NEC application. It is UL recognized because it is intended to be used in the assembly of a listed appliance.

It’s being used for control circuitry mainly class 2 circuits such as encoders but also for 120V

retirede

Post 1 states “CSA”. Post 3 has “CE”. Which is it? Very different.

CSA often uses UL standards and may have a CSA(us) mark. CE does not.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It’s being used for control circuitry mainly class 2 circuits such as encoders but also for 120V

That is listed under UL 758 and the scope of that product standard says the conductors listed under the standard are solely for use as factory installed wiring within or associated with an appliance.

It is not listed for use as field wiring and I agree with the inspector, it is not suitable for your application.

Are there any other markings on the conductors? Sometimes a wire is listed under multiple standards, but if AWM is the only marking it is not fur use in NEC applications.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
That is listed under UL 758 and the scope of that product standard says the conductors listed under the standard are solely for use as factory installed wiring within or associated with an appliance.

It is not listed for use as field wiring and I agree with the inspector, it is not suitable for your application.

Are there any other markings on the conductors? Sometimes a wire is listed under multiple standards, but if AWM is the only marking it is not fur use in NEC applications.

GAALFLEX CONTROL 600
ELETTROTEK KABEL, (31152 and31192 series)
This is from the cut sheet:
“UL RECOGNIZED AWM STYLE 21179 90C, 1000V, CSA AWM I/II A/B

ROHS AND CE APPROVAL”

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
UL Recognized, ROHS, and CE would not be recognized here for a NEC installation for the reasons ron states.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
GAALFLEX CONTROL 600
ELETTROTEK KABEL, (31152 and31192 series)
This is from the cut sheet:
“UL RECOGNIZED AWM STYLE 21179 90C, 1000V, CSA AWM I/II A/B

ROHS AND CE APPROVAL”
It has to be one of the wire types in 310.4 (310.104 in older codes) or one of the Cable wiring methods in Chapter 3 or 7. It is none of those and not permitted for an NEC installation.

Both UL and CSA are telling you it is AWM, a wiring method that, per the listing standard, is only suitable for factory installation as part of an appliance.

CE has no meaning in the US, and ROHS is just stating of the lack of certain hazardous properties.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I have ran into this when a manufacturer of some specialized equipment shipped 3 enclosures with MTW whips to connect them.
In that case it was not allowed and I had to provide NEC wire it was line voltage and class1.
There are a few dark corners of the code where you don't need to use 310.4 / 104 wire type messenger supported wiring and class 2 / 3 conductors.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
It has to be one of the wire types in 310.4 (310.104 in older codes) or one of the Cable wiring methods in Chapter 3 or 7. It is none of those and not permitted for an NEC installation.

Both UL and CSA are telling you it is AWM, a wiring method that, per the listing standard, is only suitable for factory installation as part of an appliance.

CE has no meaning in the US, and ROHS is just stating of the lack of certain hazardous properties.

Thank you very much Don. Great info

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I have ran into this when a manufacturer of some specialized equipment shipped 3 enclosures with MTW whips to connect them.
In that case it was not allowed and I had to provide NEC wire it was line voltage and class1.
There are a few dark corners of the code where you don't need to use 310.4 / 104 wire type messenger supported wiring and class 2 / 3 conductors.
Class 1 has some other options, too.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector

Don, on another cable there is a dual rating “AWM/MTW” - this should meet NEC, correct?
Another acronym I haven’t seen before is “WTTC”, that appears to make it Wet rated

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Don, on another cable there is a dual rating “AWM/MTW” - this should meet NEC, correct?
Another acronym I haven’t seen before is “WTTC”, that appears to make it Wet rated

Yes, MTW is in the list in Table 310.4 or 310.104 in the older codes.

There is debate on the question of using MTW in a raceway. Like AWM, MTW is intended for internal wiring within equipment.

A quick search says WTTC is Wind Turbine Tray Cable. I have not seen that before. It that is one of the markings, it is tray cable and you can pretty much do anything you want with it, other that exposed single runs.