UL listing on butt splices for Romex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ives2291

I was recently told that there was a new butt splice that had been listed for romex in an enclosed wall without the use of a junction box. Does anyone know anything about this and if so where can find related information about listing?

bphgravity

Yes, but the installation of these products must still meet section 334.40(B) of the NEC. Here is a list of the manufacturer's that have a product listed for this use Go to UL QAAV Product Guide:

MOLEX INC MOLEX INDUSTRIAL DIV
PASS & SEYMOUR INC
TYCO ELECTRONICS CORP
WIELAND ELECTRIC GMBH
WIRECON, DIV OF HUBBELL INC (DELAWARE)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
bphgravity said:
Yes, but the installation of these products must still meet section 334.40(B) of the NEC.

I have read this article many times and I know we have had a bit of discussion on this but I do not see where in this article it states that the device must be accessible.

It is however my opinion that the device must be accessible.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I never work on manufacturered homes but a friend of mine asked me to check out his intermittent power problem on a circuit. One of these connections failed. Fortunately it was in the crawl space and easily gotten to. I can't imagine using them in a wall where there is no access.

bphgravity

They may be permitted in mobile homes (HUD - DOT), but would NOT be permitted in a modular home which are required to be manufacturerd under the provisions of the building code.

When we inspect modular homes in our jurisdiction, if there is a "HUD" sticker on the home, the only part of the building we inspect would be the service and the basement/outside wiring.
We have to ignore whatever else has been wired in the factory. That is what the "Hud" inspector supposedly did in the factory to their standards.

There are HUD built apartment buildings in our area that are built installing methods that are not permitted by the NEC. They get inspected by HUD inspectors. Funny thing is, they are still standing.

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
brian john said:
I would not want that thing in my wall.

I would like to second that. Never in my house!

They may be convenient but I do not consider them reliable enough to be -in the wall.

I have experienced many insulation displacement type contact failures and have never liked them. Especially on circuits that can carry higher currents.

That being said we can always rely on a AFCI to protect us against this type of potential fire right? :)

jrclen

I've connected those in modular (2 part) homes and in double wide mobile homes to connect the wiring from one half to the other half. But in those applications, of course, they are accessible and remain accessible. I wouldn't want one hid inside the wall.

mdshunk

electricalperson said:
the GC buried them behind a sheetrock wall, and behind a wooden celing. he said the inspector approved of it. i dont believe him
I believe him. That is an approved use. I don't like it much, but it is what it is.

brian john

Years ago I saw a crimp on box receptacle for NM the modular home was wired and a loop left at the location for the receptacle, after wall covering were installed the "electrician" would square up the hole and crimp on the device. Looked shaky to me. Talk at the time was this was the future of residential wiring.

mdshunk

brian john said:
Years ago I saw a crimp on box receptacle for NM the modular home was wired and a loop left at the location for the receptacle, after wall covering were installed the "electrician" would square up the hole and crimp on the device. Looked shaky to me. Talk at the time was this was the future of residential wiring.
They still do it that way today in trailers and double wides. I have one out in the truck. Lemme go check to see, and take a picture...

electricalperson

i would never ever ever use these connectors. i dont trust them. same with those bolt on connectors they use for service drops that bite into the insulation instead of stripping and using a burndy or lug

mdshunk

Here's a picture of those switches and receptacles that Brian John was talking about that are like the Molex style butt splices. I managed to scrounge up a couple old one's that are more representative of what we'd find in the field now. The one on the left is a Slater SCO-70 single pole switch, and the one on the right is an AMP type HW-1 duplex receptacle.

P1010152.jpg

P1010153.jpg

P1010154.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.