UL Listing on Reconditioned Breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a project where we need to install a 350A 480V Breaker in an existing Zinsco switchboard. The local authority is telling us that it is against code to install a reconditioned breaker as it is not UL approved for the installation. He has also stated that we can install any new breaker UL approved for this switchboard. We are perplexed. Can anyone share their knowledge on this, please.

tonyi

Re: UL Listing on Reconditioned Breakers

Cutler Hammer offers breaker reconditioning service for their own stuff and some others.

Why they'd offer this service if the end result were to be illegal is puzzling :roll:

Make this guy cite the article prohibiting the use.

charlie tuna

i had an inspector give me trouble when i installed a cutler hammer 400 amp breaker bucket into a westinghouse switchgear. cutler hammer has bought out westinghouse and makes u.l. rated equipment for westinghouse gear. i got a letter from cutler hammer stating this and he wanted another letter from westinghouse. now, westinghouse is no longer in the switchgear business---how am i gonna get a letter from them? he acted like he was really doing me a favor-- it's a cover their butt thing!!!! if a breaker was originally u.l. rated, what is age gonna do to it---it's still u.l. rated!!!

templdl

Interesting...Did you know that a good portion of C-H was the old (W), facilities and personal? Anyway, it's UL that is the key. If it is allowed and listed by UL what does the "old" (W) organization have to do with it?
Also, it is of my personal opinion that the "recondition" breaker may be cleaned and inspected but what determines a pass/fail evaluation? Has the supplier in question been qualified by the OEM to inspect and evaluate the breaker?
NEMA AB4 is generally an accepted method for the guidelines for inspection and prventive maintenance of molded case circuit breakers and does include a field testing. However, an actual calibration check, both thermal and magnetic, to verify that the breaker is within the manufacturers original specifications requires expensive test equipment. When a UL489 breaker is manufactured in a factory UL inspections are commonplace. Fail and inspection/test and the line is shut down.
Relocate that same breaker into the field, either being used or as a stock item, then having it aquired by a reseller or field service organization of some type, how can the NEC be assured that the product meet the requirements as were when originally manufactured?

We made the decision (and were paid for it) to have Square D build a new interior for the panel. It has to be changed out in a short period of time as it powers part of a large hotel. I would like to add though that the NEC doesn't say a thing about testing or whatever it just says equipment shall be labeled and listed. I agree with Charlie Tuna that the inspector is just throwing his weight around. The new articles in the new NEC will make that situation occur less as the AHJ has to log his requirments.

charlie tuna

how many owners actually follow manufacturer's recommendations on circuit breakers?? i know of one building in the south florida area that has the manufacturer come in and actually operate the breakers and set the trip setpoints. consider a 400 amp disconnect switch that is now thirty years old---you open it for some major problem in the building nor related to the function of this switch. now, have you ever noticed that when you close it, the contact fingers don't actually fully engage into the blades??? the switch is tight - the spring can't drive the mechinism to fully close!!! what do you end up with---maybe a 300 or 200 amp switch???? iif you operate it four or five times you get a "full engagement!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.