UL Listing Requirements on 12V LED Fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am aware that there are UL listed under cabinet strips available, and that there is a listing for them. I have a great connection on getting flexible LED strips from a supplier that I've used a lot. The strips are 12V, but not UL listed. I've looked under Art 410, and I'm just not 100% that I'm interpreting the text correctly. So the question is, are 12V LED strip lights required to be UL listed to be installed legally according to the NEC?

iwire

Staff member
You were in the wrong Article and yes you need listed LEDs

ARTICLE 411
Lighting Systems Operating at
30 Volts or Less

411.1 Scope. This article covers lighting systems operating
at 30 volts or less and their associated components.

411.3 Listing Required. Lighting systems operating at
30 volts or less shall comply with 411.3(A) or 411.3(B).

jumper

As Iwire stated - listed yes, but it does not have to be UL there are other NRTLs.

Listed. Equipment, materials, or services included in a list
published by an organization that is acceptable to the authority
having jurisdiction and concerned with evaluation
of products or services, that maintains periodic inspection
of production of listed equipment or materials or periodic
evaluation of services, and whose listing states that either
the equipment, material, or service meets appropriate designated
standards or has been tested and found suitable for
a specified purpose.

Interesting point jumper. So would it be the AHJ that would determine which NRTL are accepted, or would it be NEC that determines that? And, if it is the NEC that determines which NRTLs are acceptable, where would I find such information? I know that these LEDs that I'm referring to do have some testing certs... just have to go find out which ones, and if they're acceptable.

raider1

Staff member
Interesting point jumper. So would it be the AHJ that would determine which NRTL are accepted, or would it be NEC that determines that? And, if it is the NEC that determines which NRTLs are acceptable, where would I find such information? I know that these LEDs that I'm referring to do have some testing certs... just have to go find out which ones, and if they're acceptable.

OSHA recognizes NRTL's and has a list of NRTL's that they recognize.

Chris

raider1

Staff member
110.3(B) also, IMO, requires listing

I disagree that 110.3(B) requires listing. 110.3(B) states that listed and labeled equipment must be installed in accordance with any instructions included in the listing and labeling. There is nothing in 110.3(B) that requires anything to be listed.

Chris

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I disagree that 110.3(B) requires listing. 110.3(B) states that listed and labeled equipment must be installed in accordance with any instructions included in the listing and labeling. There is nothing in 110.3(B) that requires anything to be listed.

Chris

Well I knew someone would argue that however- it states "listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with"....

I read it as listed equipment shall be installed and shall be used according...

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
We could argue it but I don't buy it either but NC , I believe , used that article as its argument.

410.6 states all luminaires and lampholders shall be listed as well as what Bob stated.

raider1

Staff member
We could argue it but I don't buy it either but NC , I believe , used that article as its argument.

410.6 states all luminaires and lampholders shall be listed as well as what Bob stated.

Dennis, if 110.3(B) was in fact meant to require all equipment to be listed all of the .6 sections of the NEC that require listed equipment would be moot.

Chris

jumper

Of course as it seems a very unusual position.:)

IMPO there is nothing in 110.3(B) that requires anything to be listed.

I agree; however, I can easily see how it could be interpreted that way by the opening words of that section as Dennis presented.

"listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with"....

These words could be considered definitive, binding and inclusive as written.

The immediate quote above is from my wife, who has a MA in English.

iwire

Staff member
I agree; however, I can easily see how it could be interpreted that way by the opening words of that section as Dennis presented.

"listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with"....

The immediate quote above is from my wife, who has a MA in English.

Only if you choose to stop reading the sentence before it is done. :)

oHall

Listing requirements for 12v LED Strip Lights

Listing requirements for 12v LED Strip Lights

Regarding 12v LED Strip Lights, do I understand correctly that NRTL is required but UL is only one of the possible NRTLs?

Does that mean that a recognized listing would have to be one that is found on this list?
http://www.osha.gov/dts/otpca/nrtl/nrtllist.html

ARTICLE 411
Lighting Systems Operating at
30 Volts or Less

411.1 Scope. This article covers lighting systems operating
at 30 volts or less and their associated components.

411.3 Listing Required. Lighting systems operating at
30 volts or less shall comply with 411.3(A) or 411.3(B).

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation

NC has a list if NRTL's that it will accept. Check with your state to insure that there is not a separate list from the one posted.

Novice question, but what is NC?
Also, can anyone point me in the direction to check with my state (Florida) on their NRTL? I've checked OSHAs list, just want to see if FL adds any. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.