UL listing v. County Inspector

Status
Not open for further replies.

csc_wyo

Occupation
EI&C Engineer - Oil & Gas/Heavy Industry
Setting the stage:
Oil and Gas Installation. 3rd Party electric compressor skid (480V, 400hp) packaged with stand-alone VFD skid. Same 3rd Party is responsible for providing the interconnecting cabling to/from VFD skid to compressor skid. Power cables are UL listed, plug/receptacles installed on the cable are UL listed, and every other component in the power "system" is UL listed. All components are also listed for use in hazardous conditions.

Issue:
I've got a young, disgruntled county Inspector who's stating that "everything on my production facility needs to be UL listed and certified for use with each other connected component". That was his overall statement yesterday, but in specific which brought out that statement, he's targeting a power cable assembly being provided by the 3rd Party. This cable assembly consists of a 50' (to separate the VFD and Compressor skid for EAC), 600V, multiconductor cable, CID2 plug and receptacles on each end for mobile/reusable service, all of which he's now saying that it needs to be listed together. 🤯

I know that NEC requires ALL components to be listed, labeled, identified, or "approved" as compliant to a number of various organizations such as UL, ANSI, NRTL, etc. I also know that at the end of the day, “approved” is defined in the National Electric Code under Article 100 as “acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction”. The AHJ, or inspector, is responsible for interpreting and enforcing the requirements of a code or standard, or for approving equipment, materials, installation or a procedure as the final authority.

Below is directly from the Inspector's, County website:
As of January 1, 2022, "Acme" County Building Code adopted and enforces the following International Codes in all areas of Unincorporated "Acme" County:
2018 International Building Code
2018 International Existing Building Code
2018 International Residential Code
2018 International Mechanical Code
2018 International Plumbing Code
2018 International Fuel Gas Code
2018 International Energy Conservation Code
The following codes remain as currently adopted:
2020 National Electrical Code
1997 Uniform Code for the Abatement of Dangerous Buildings
2018 International Energy Conservation Code
2006 Uniform Swimming Pool, Spa and Hot Tub Code

I need help determining:
  1. If the County Inspector, my new BFF 🤞, has the "A" in the AHJ to pull of this requirement based on the above building codes? I've researched every other published document on their website (in it now for 4+ hours) and see no reference or specification calling out that equipment or it's components have to be UL listed for use with each other. I did find that there are certain niched aspects within the "Acme" County requirements where UL Listed components are specifically called out and required, such as commercial Washers/Dryers in laundromats, Water/Waste Water Equipment, and misc other residential/commercial components.
  2. I see no other "law" or code requirement mandating that these manufactured skid or power cable assemblies have to be UL listed with each other.
  3. I see no other "law" or code requirement in the above codes or any other "Acme" County documents, that would give the AHJ the authority to require this UL demand, above and beyond what is called out as adopted and enforceable codes.
I'm ready for a ration of corrections, education, and opinion...let'r fly!

Thanks,
Inspector's new BFF

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
What is his specific beef with the setup? It is not real clear to me what he is complaining about.

However, if he is complaining about the factory made cables, he might be right. They would probably not be part of the listing of the control panel.

The UL listing criteria would tell you whether the cable and connectors can be made into a proper connection. The kind of cables you can use with the connectors would be covered in the manufacturer's instructions for the connectors and cables used.

For instance, you cannot use NM cable with any connector at all because it is not UL listed to be used with a connector.

I don't think you could use tray cable in this situation either. Maybe SO cord. You would need to hunt down what the manufacturer's instructions say.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Ask the inspector how he knows RMC is specifically listed/labeled for Hazardous locations. (It is identified/suitable [how?] but not specifically listed/labeled)
Note: identified can be, but is not necessarily, listed/labeled. See the definitions.

Local ordinances usually assign the “A” in AHJ. It is rarely conferred on a field inspector. It’s probably his supervisor or a Building Official.

Entire assemblies, can be listed or labeled but usually are not. Conversly, an assembly made entirely of listed or labeled components still may not be acceptable. It still must be consistent with the product standards for the application.

Status
Not open for further replies.