UL marking

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
What is required as far as marking for a UL listed item? I have a piece of equipment that only has a text statement reading "UL Listed". It does not have the UL symbol or a UL file number. I have never seen a listed product that does not have the UL symbol.
Don

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Don,

the "White Book" Appendix A covers most cases. Additional marking details can be found in each "Category Code" if necessary.

Example from Appendix A:
The evidence of Listing is the UL Listing Mark on the product. The Listing Mark for switchboards includes
the name and/or symbol of Underwriters Laboratories Inc., together with the word ?Listed,? a control number
and one of the following product names as appropriate: ?Dead-Front Switchboard Section,? ?Switchboard​
Interior,? or ?Switchboard Enclosure"
( Underline added)

Edit added example​

Last edited:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I agree with Bob that it should contain, the word "LISTED" or "CLASSIFIED", the product or category name, and a control number.

It does say however that the product name may be omitted when, in UL's opinion, the use of the name is unnecessary and the UL Mark is directly and permanently applied to the product.

Status
Not open for further replies.