Under cabinet kitchen receptacles

865resi

Occupation
Electrician
My kitchen remodel contractor uses Task brand angle power strips (APS). They have several colors, several different lengths and also with or without USB. They do not come with GFI'S, too small. So you need GFI breakers or GFI receptacle upstream.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am under the impression that the homeowner doesn't want receptacles under the upper cabinets because you will see the cord hanging down.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
What about this one. It says it is UL approved to pass 406.5(E) of the NEC

The one manufactuured by Hubbell one is the only one currently listed for use in countertops, however there may be one re-branded one on the market.

James L

Occupation
Electrician

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I've used Lew Electric pop-ups several times.
They say they're ETL listed for countertops.
And since I'm an electrician and not an investigative reporter, I take their word for it.

Many of the manufacturers use marketing information that is not completely truthful. There is nothing in any of the information from Lew that says that product has been listed to section 146 of UL 498. That is what is require by the rule in 406.5(E). Section 146 requires that the product pass a 64 ounce spill test using saline solution to be listed for use in countertops. The only manufacturer that claims compliance with section 146 is Hubbell.

The type of device pictured is one that was compliant in the 2014 code as that code only said the receptacle could not be face up in a countertop. That changed in 2017 when the rule in 406 was changed to require all countertop receptacles to be listed for that use.

Last edited:

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I would see that Under Cabinet receptacles like shown would be limited by the requirements 210.52(C)(5) of not more than 20" above countertop.
210.52(C)(5) Receptacle Outlet Location.
Receptacle outlets shall be located on or above, but not more than 500 mm (20 in.) above, the countertop or work surface. Receptacle outlet assemblies listed for use in countertops or work surfaces shall be permitted to be installed in countertops or work surfaces.

ammklq143

Occupation
Electrician
Have a customer who does not want to have any countertop receptacles in the tile backsplash.

Can anyone recommend a good product for this application.

They also do not want to see the device hanging down from under the upper cabinet .

I have found both strip type and individual box type .

Suggestions from those who have found a good product to use would be appreciated.
I had a lady that wanted the same thing, although I did try to talk her out of it. No receptacles or switches in the wall. Seems like a nuisance to have to bend over and look under the cabinet to plug something in. Their cabinets were being custom made, so I had the cabinet maker put a false bottom in the cabinet with a couple inches of gap between there and the bottom cabinet board where the dishes sit on. He had slits in the side of the cabinet bottom for something to stick in and held the false bottom in place, so it would be removed also. I don't remember for sure, but I think I may have had him make the lip that sticks down below the cabinet a littler more than standard too. I used boxes similar to this. https://www.menards.com/main/electr...-fa8a-45a5-b8ef-399de5cdcce9&ipos=1&exp=false Just watch your box fill. Then I used American Lighting LED strip tape for the under cabinet lights, so none was visible. It's a pain, but it can be done.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Removing dangling wires won't work until counter tops have built-in Qi charging coils and power blenders, toasters, mixers, etc. No more wires! They'll need to be high-powered-- perhaps working 'live' for those high-powered appliances!